Tint questions/issues...

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed that some people are more interested in tint than others. I have mainly cool white LED's so I don't know the answers to the questions I'm about to pose. I also understand that warm vs cool is personal preference so that's not at issue here either.

It seems (from reading) that many neutral or warm lights change color as power is reduced. This doesn't seem to be as common with cool white (but maybe I'm wrong). So if you get a neutral light especially because tint matters to you and it's neutral on high but green on lower settings this seems odd to me especially if its a light that could be expected to mainly be used on medium or low.

This could either be a situation where the battery supply is limited (single AAA) so use on high might be limited or where high is very high (800 lumens) and probably won't be used there most of the time.

If you particularly care about tint but don't get a good tint on the setting where you most use your light logically it would seem that you would be better off with a cool white tint.

Also, as you reduce the power setting even if it doesn't turn green isn't tint less relevant at lower power settings where you can't see color as well anyway? I just wonder when people are so concerned with a particular tint on a single AAA light and where they are concerned about having a low, low as well. Isn't tint pretty much irrelevant by the time you get to a low, low?

Hopefully someone can clear this up for me. I may be off base just in my initial assumption that tint changes on many neutral and warm lights as the power is reduced.

Thanks.

jk930

Newly Enlightened
when the power is reduced, the tint won't change, what changes is the luminous flux reduce.

Lampyris noctiluca

Newly Enlightened
The change in tint seems to be less noticeable with pwm drivers, but at low low levels there is the issue of flicker. Seems that for every solution there is another problem to overcome:(