Transmission problems...

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was 3.5 quarts low on fluid. Recommended fill for the 4L60E from dry is ~8.5 quarts depending on torque converter and pan. That's ~40% low. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't last too long if I was continually operated 40% low on blood.

:buddies:

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Diesel,

All the fluid didn't leak out, it was in the transfer case. A seal went bad between the tranny and the transfer case that caused it to appear low. Now the transfer case is REALLY full.

JakeGMCHD

Newly Enlightened
Bigger problem is that the TC doesn't use Dex III like the trans. It uses Smurf Oil from GM.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smurf Oil

ATF not leaking out onto the ground is well and good.........but it still wasn't in the transmission where it belongs.

Last edited:

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was upset enough that I fired GM a pretty angry E-mail. Long story short...they contacted me after talking to the dealership and tranny shop and said they can not help me. Not that I was necessarily expecting help, but its nice to know they can't make a transmission that will last longer than the set of tires that are on the truck. No more GM products...

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was upset enough that I fired GM a pretty angry E-mail. Long story short...they contacted me after talking to the dealership and tranny shop and said they can not help me. Not that I was necessarily expecting help, but its nice to know they can't make a transmission that will last longer than the set of tires that are on the truck. No more GM products...
Not to turn this into a GM bashing thread, but...
After GM told me that my piston slapping V8 in my '01 Denali was normal and that it's not a problem. I came to the realization that GM would rather spend Millions/Billions on advertising to con people into buying thier products than actually stand behind them. No more GM for me either.
GM might make a great car/truck, but you'd better pray nothing happens to it because they won't stand behind it.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to know a guy who had the old (full size) Blazer's. I think it was a mid 80's model and the original tranny only lasted 25k or so. The second made it to about 60, after that he sold it. I'm not bashing GM either but that's pretty poor.

Latest posts