TruFuel ethanol-free fuel

Dr. Jones

Newly Enlightened
Like many of you, I have an assortment of outdoor power equipment, and TruFuel ethanol-free fuel has turned out to be a godsend for me. It's expensive at over $20 per gallon, but the beauty of it is that you don't have to run most of your equipment on it exclusively. Here's how I use it:

End of season, the 4-cycle engines that have regular gas in their tank are drained fully, then a cup or so of TruFuel added and run for 5 minutes or so to make sure only TruFuel is left in their system. I then put them away for the season, and in the years since I've been doing this, I can get one-pull starts on every piece of equipment so treated when I go to use it months later. This is especially important when you consider that some equipment, such as a generator, may need to be ready to use on short notice. Since in my experience modern ethanol-added gas has a reliable shelf life, as far as small engine use is concerned, of less than two months, by using TruFuel I don't have to go to the trouble of completely draining the fuel and running the engine until the tank is empty, then emptying the carburetor bowl as well.

Come next season, providing I'll be using the equipment regularly - like for example a lawnmower, which gets used weekly and the gas refreshed every month - I simply add regular pump gas to the tank and go on my merry way. End of season, I repeat the process of adding TruFuel and storing the equipment. If the equipment might sit for a few months, like a log splitter which sees random use all year long, I'll fill the tank with a small can of TruFuel and, unless I have a lot of wood to split, might not add any pump gas to it at all the entire season; if I do, I'll use the same procedure as described above once I'm finished using it and it'll sit unused for more than a month.

2-cycle equipment is a different beast entirely; my chainsaws, in particular, haven't seen much pump gas in years, as I run 50:1 TruFuel in them exclusively unless I have a great deal of timber to fell and/or buck. I have saws that have sat for a year or more with TruFuel in the tank and will start with two pulls, whereas before when I stored them I had to not only drain the tank and run the saws dry, but frequently had to work on their carbs to remove deposits left by the tiny amount of stale ethanol gas that was left in them. For me, the added expense of TruFuel is more than compensated for by knowing that the saws will start when needed.

The specs for TruFuel state that it's good for 5 years from date of manufacture if sealed, and 2 years once opened. Personally, I've used it from an opened, half-empty bottle that was almost 4 years old and had been pushed to the back of a shelf with no problem whatsoever, and I've never experienced any issue from it sitting unused in an engine for a couple of years, either.

I like it. Do you use it, and what do you think of it?

turbodog

Flashaholic
Have not used it.

Just took a peek @ their website. I slipped and fell in the snake-oil.

2 stroke engines have a fixed carb jetting. Their claim of better fuel economy is bogus.

And running higher octane/premium in an engine NOT designed for it results in less performance. Premium fuel is HARDER to ignite.

I've got some post(s) on ethanol fuel around here somewhere.

If you're having problems w/ e10, the fault lies with 1) an already nasty fuel system 2) water contamination in your gas jugs due to poor sealing 3) REALLY old equipment made before everything was e10 approved.

FYI, the ethanol in e10 will actually mix with reasonable water contamination and carry it through the combustion cycle where it exits out the exhaust.

Dr. Jones

Newly Enlightened
Have not used it.

Just took a peek @ their website. I slipped and fell in the snake-oil.

2 stroke engines have a fixed carb jetting. Their claim of better fuel economy is bogus.

And running higher octane/premium in an engine NOT designed for it results in less performance. Premium fuel is HARDER to ignite.

I've got some post(s) on ethanol fuel around here somewhere.

If you're having problems w/ e10, the fault lies with 1) an already nasty fuel system 2) water contamination in your gas jugs due to poor sealing 3) REALLY old equipment made before everything was e10 approved.

FYI, the ethanol in e10 will actually mix with reasonable water contamination and carry it through the combustion cycle where it exits out the exhaust.
All well and good, but my real-life experience contradicts your assertions.

Have a great day! 😉

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've had issues for years with getting the trimmer to start. Pre-mixed true fuel solved that issue. But I've since gone electric and given away the gas trimmer.

The main reason it's so expensive is because conttractors buy it regardless of the price. Time is money so they hate wasting it trying to start a weed whacker, a pipe saw or jumping jack tamper. It's very popular with contractor's.

I do exactly what you cite Dr Jones. Only I gain shelf life of ethanol laced gasoline with Lucas marine grade fuel stabilizer. The green kind. I can literally put my mower away and next year it'll start first pull, but...... it shuts off when I leave old fuel in it. Even stabilized fuel. So the last time I think I'm going to cut grass I'll finish a can of true fuel. Example, the Bermuda grass has finished for the year but the fine fescue I plant each year is growing so I may cut grass up to Thanksgiving. Some years to Christmas.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I can't say that I had any more issues with e10 fuel than previous fuel. I've never used TruFuel, and at $20 a gallon, I doubt that I ever will. In fact I only used Stabil one season about 20 years ago.
Recently I'm using Stabil because the warranty on my Harbor Freight generator requires it.

So my lawnmower, snow blower, and generators run on Stabil-ized fuel.
My lawnmower doesn't get any special treatment. It is run for cutting the grass in Spring and summer, and for picking up leaves Fall and early winter. So it only sits for about 4 months without being run. It's about 50 years young, and starts right up with a shot of ether.

I don't drain the carb on my snowblower, but try to start it once during the Summer, and late fall just to put fresh fuel into and through the carb. Actually it isn't fresh fuel, it is the fuel that is still in the tank.

I have two generators. One I drained the carb, it has Stabil-ized fuel in it and I haven't run it in the last 6 months. The other try to run it at least each season. Sometimes more often, it starts with just a couple of pulls. Fortunately it has a small engine, and pulls easily.

Dr. Jones

Newly Enlightened
I've had issues for years with getting the trimmer to start. Pre-mixed true fuel solved that issue. But I've since gone electric and given away the gas trimmer.

The main reason it's so expensive is because conttractors buy it regardless of the price. Time is money so they hate wasting it trying to start a weed whacker, a pipe saw or jumping jack tamper. It's very popular with contractor's.

I do exactly what you cite Dr Jones. Only I gain shelf life of ethanol laced gasoline with Lucas marine grade fuel stabilizer. The green kind. I can literally put my mower away and next year it'll start first pull, but...... it shuts off when I leave old fuel in it. Even stabilized fuel. So the last time I think I'm going to cut grass I'll finish a can of true fuel. Example, the Bermuda grass has finished for the year but the fine fescue I plant each year is growing so I may cut grass up to Thanksgiving. Some years to Christmas.

Glad to hear the Lucas stabilizer does the job, Bykfixer! I treat the two 5 gallon gas containers that I keep on hand with PRI-G, and it's done a good job for me over the years. Works fine in my cars, even after a year's storage, but I still don't put it in my small engines unless it's less than couple of months old.

I like TruFuel for small engines specifically because I can leave it in over time and it doesn't gum them up; that was the main thrust of my original post. Being hygroscopic, E10 can draw in any moisture from the air and experience phase separation, where the alcohol/water mix actually precipitates out of the gas and which makes for a real mess. I've had online conversations in the past with people telling me that it's only a problem if the tank or can isn't full and the fuel pulls moisture from the air, but that didn't jibe with my later (expensive and time-consuming) experiences.

If I could get straight, non-ethanol gas from the stations here, I might try using it in my small engines, but unfortunately that's not an option here in NJ. Even so, I've been told by a research chemist friend that the benzene content of pump gas formulations has crept up and up over the years, and that that is a major factor in gas's shorter life. Decades ago, everyone I knew left gas in their most of their equipment (2-cycle excepted) season to season without any issues; the gas today doesn't even smell like the old stuff.

Dr. Jones

Newly Enlightened
I can't say that I had any more issues with e10 fuel than previous fuel. I've never used TruFuel, and at $20 a gallon, I doubt that I ever will. In fact I only used Stabil one season about 20 years ago.
Recently I'm using Stabil because the warranty on my Harbor Freight generator requires it.

So my lawnmower, snow blower, and generators run on Stabil-ized fuel.
My lawnmower doesn't get any special treatment. It is run for cutting the grass in Spring and summer, and for picking up leaves Fall and early winter. So it only sits for about 4 months without being run. It's about 50 years young, and starts right up with a shot of ether.

I don't drain the carb on my snowblower, but try to start it once during the Summer, and late fall just to put fresh fuel into and through the carb. Actually it isn't fresh fuel, it is the fuel that is still in the tank.

I have two generators. One I drained the carb, it has Stabil-ized fuel in it and I haven't run it in the last 6 months. The other try to run it at least each season. Sometimes more often, it starts with just a couple of pulls. Fortunately it has a small engine, and pulls easily.

I'm glad to hear that you haven't had any problems with E10, Poppy! Wish I could say the same, as I've had several carbs on 4-cycle equipment ruined by E10, and it destroyed the engine on one saw I had.

I'd put it down to perhaps different climatic conditions between us, but I see we're neighbors.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get ethanol free gas at the pump at some stations, but you would probably need to add your own stabilizer for long term storage.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
A friend swore by it for his 2-stroke trimmer. But seems like for the extra he spent on fuel he could have bought a new trimmer every few years.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

1697302530642.jpeg

Looking at this map from the Buyrealgas site, you'd think WI would only have gas w/ ethanol.
.. looked up my area and it showed no ethanol free gas stations,, but there are several places I can get 100% gas, without any ethanol, near me.
Two being very close, at least four within a 15 mile circle of my location, probably alot more

Dr. Jones

Newly Enlightened
+

View attachment 50800

Looking at this map from the Buyrealgas site, you'd think WI would only have gas w/ ethanol.
.. looked up my area and it showed no ethanol free gas stations,, but there are several places I can get 100% gas, without any ethanol, near me.
Two being very close, at least four within a 15 mile circle of my location, probably alot more
That map shows all corn production for grain use; IIRC, most of the corn grown for ethanol production isn't suitable for human consumption, thus a map of that distribution would look a bit different.

Glad you were able to find ethanol-free gas relatively nearby; perhaps it's more available near agricultural areas due to farmers demanding it for use in their equipment; downtime due to ethanol issues in that business can mean a lost harvest.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
That map shows all corn production for grain use; IIRC, most of the corn grown for ethanol production isn't suitable for human consumption, thus a map of that distribution would look a bit different.

Glad you were able to find ethanol-free gas relatively nearby; perhaps it's more available near agricultural areas due to farmers demanding it for use in their equipment; downtime due to ethanol issues in that business can mean a lost harvest.
+

Effectively all corn fields around here are for cattle feed / ethanol. It's just called field corn..
..thinking that's what you're saying.
Haven't looked it up, but guessing it's distilled, then the leftover mash is dried & mixed into 'involved' feed.
Nothing wasted right?

Personally been buying non ethanol gas since the late 80s',, rather OCD about it.

Poppy

Flashaholic
this site seems to be a little more up to date for E0 stations:

Thanks @xxo it is definitely more current. The last time I checked there weren't any in NJ at all. Actually there was one near the GW bridge, but it was just a gas station selling high test fuel.

turbodog

Flashaholic
All well and good, but my real-life experience contradicts your assertions.

Have a great day! 😉

Trouble is that I've got 25+ years of the opposite real-life experiences that back up my assertions, with engines from trimmer/blower size to large v-twins and usage from weekly to once every 2 years.

And then there's the pesky issue of e10 actually removing water from the fuel system. There are actual scientifically-sound tests on this, whitepapers and everything...

Yes, ethanol is hydroscopic. The tests, where the water absorption was actually measured w/ instrumentation precise enough to be valid, show that the amounts involved are FAR below the ability of e10 to hold w/o separation.

E10 will hold, WITHOUT phase separation, approx 3 teaspoons per gallon.

This has all been hashed out, I think in the generator thread.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

What an absolute laugh.

Anyway, never in my life have I needed to drain the fuel from a carb. 2-stroke/4-stroke
This summer I used my 2-stroke brush cutter, hadn't used it since 2021 > same old gas in it, started right up.

Dr. Jones

Newly Enlightened
Trouble is that I've got 25+ years of the opposite real-life experiences that back up my assertions, with engines from trimmer/blower size to large v-twins and usage from weekly to once every 2 years.

And then there's the pesky issue of e10 actually removing water from the fuel system. There are actual scientifically-sound tests on this, whitepapers and everything...

Yes, ethanol is hydroscopic. The tests, where the water absorption was actually measured w/ instrumentation precise enough to be valid, show that the amounts involved are FAR below the ability of e10 to hold w/o separation.

E10 will hold, WITHOUT phase separation, approx 3 teaspoons per gallon.

This has all been hashed out, I think in the generator thread.
Then we'll just have to agree to disagree, friend.

Dr. Jones

Newly Enlightened
+

Effectively all corn fields around here are for cattle feed / ethanol. It's just called field corn..
..thinking that's what you're saying.
Haven't looked it up, but guessing it's distilled, then the leftover mash is dried & mixed into 'involved' feed.
Nothing wasted right?

Personally been buying non ethanol gas since the late 80s',, rather OCD about it.
Yes, you're right, I wasn't very clear regarding corn. I did mean field corn or "cattle corn".