What were these lights from back in the day?

Smaug

Newly Enlightened
They had a Star Trek phaser form factor. A button on the top, a few LEDs on the front. Several modes, from very dim and long-lasting to a bright flood. They ran on a single 9 V battery.

nightshade

Enlightened
Perhaps you remember the Pal lights? 9volt....
download-3.jpg

Or, the AA powered Eternalight ?...
images-1.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Omg! I was going nuts trying to figure out what OP was describing. That may be it.

nightshade

Enlightened
The early 2000s had a ton of invention and experimentation going on. Technology Associates still has the Eternalite Elite Max available. Remains a very useful area and waterproof emergency light with the modification to new high cri 5mm emitters. The "new " owner is a very nice and knowledgeable chap.

I had both the Etetnalite and the PAL lights at one time. Gave the Etetnalite to a family Girl Scout for a camping trip, and gave the PAL to her younger brother to help avoid sibling squabbling. Neither became a flashaholic, but both have a better than average appreciation for a quality pocket torch, so I suppose that's something to celebrate.

nightshade

Enlightened
The CPF edition with the user replaceable led holders was made for a bit. There wasn't a lot of options in the 3mm and 5mm realm at that time. Still using and appreciate the design. My wife likes the blue beacon to locate the light.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Sadly, the elitemax had a nice translucent lexan case. The case was BAD about cracking at the screw anchors. The cheaper, solid black, abs cases did not do this.

I've owned 4 and still have 2.

Flynn's Arcade

Newly Enlightened
I have the Ergomarine, yellow body, I never thought of changing the LEDs. On the lowest setting it runs for a very long time.

TPA

Enlightened
I still have both the Eternalite Elite Max and many Pal lights and still use them. I also have an Eternalite Derringer as well, whose momentary function is perfect for hanging on a neck lanyard and using to check equipment.