Newbie FAQ?

Yooper

Enlightened
I've been surfing here for a month or so, and have already acquired a SF G2 and Fenix L1P (and two more for Xmas gifts), and I have a CPF LE VP-16 and LEDBeam on order, and am considering modding one of my 3D Mags.

I've learned a lot, but there are still some terms and acronyms that escape me, some of which may be specific to CPF. Is there a newbie FAQ? I can't find one - if there is one I suggest making it a stickie in this general discussion forum.

some of the terms I can't decipher:

ROP (is this a brand name or a category of bulb, category of modification, type of regulation circuit, or what :huh2: )

MOP - seems to apply to reflectors?

UCL - seems to apply to lenses?

Hope I'm not :dedhorse: , but I'm a pretty good searcher and I'm getting lost here!

Please take it easy on this newb!

thanks!

Sean

greenLED

Flashaholic
I usually refer people to:
flashlightreviews.com
theledmuseum.org (Craig has a list of acronyms there)

It'll take you some time to read through all of those, but you were going to do it anyway, so why delay it? :)

IIRC:
OP refers to "orange peel", the amount of roughness in a reflector. MOP-medium orange peel and so on.
UCL - ultra clear lens? There's a definition in flaslightlens.com

greenLED

Flashaholic
Other than Craig's acronym list, there's also some stuff on the CPF Wiki (link on CPF toolbar)

Yooper

Enlightened
OK, thanks.

ROP is a Pelican Big D bulb used as a MiniMag mod

MOP is a medium orange peel reflector

UCL : found out it's a trademarked lens. From flashlightlens.com:
UCL™ (Ultra Clear Lens™): Having become our flagship lens, the UCL™ transmits 98% of your flashlight's visible light energy. A full 11% more than most stock polycarbonate lenses. This results in a brighter beam with the truest colors. This glass also has an Anti-Reflective coating on it. Anti-Reflective coatings allow more light to pass through the glass, which is the main reason behind its incredible light transmittance. This is by far one of the most advanced lenses available. This lens is recommended for those looking for the ultimate in optical performance.

UCL™-LDF: We took our already popular UCL™ and added a high quality Lexan® diffusion film to it with an optical quality adhesive. This lens will take the worst hot spot and turn it into a nice smooth beam. For those looking for more of a flood beam pattern, this is the lens for you. This lens WILL reduce the throw of the beam, but it will have VERY little affect on the TOTAL output.

Borofloat®: Borofloat®, and its Corning equivalent Pyrex®, are both forms of borosilicate glass. They both have an excellent ability to withstand thermal shock. The difference lies in how they are formed. Pyrex® is usually either drawn or cast, whereas Borofloat® is formed using a special float process. This results in a glass with better optical quality with fewer imperfections. For more information on Borofloat® glass visit the Schott website. This type of lens is recommended for high output "hot-wire" flashlights, whose bulb temperatures reach beyond what normal glass is capable of handling

theledmuseum.org doesn't work - took me a while to figure out that it's http://www.ledmuseum.org/ lots of good info there, but apparently a work in progress?

A newb FAQ sticky with links to those other sources would be very nice. :rock:

greenLED

Flashaholic
A work in progress? Not at all, Craig's been working on it for I don't know how long. He's one of the experts out there.