ISO battery powered LED Christmas lights

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like a group of us are going to "cold camp" this weekend and I've been looking everywhere for some LED based, battery powered, Christmas light strings to put on the tent. Darn it, if I can't find them soon I'm going to have to take my "booster pack" and the power inverter and put some target LED christmas lights on the tent :naughty: .

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all, I'll hit Walgreens and Kmart tonight. WalMart and Target had zippo (at least the ones near me).

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could always "mod" the target ones :) The phillips brand ones are just 2 parallel strands of 30 series LED's to make up the appropriate forward voltage for use at 120v. You could turn that into a whole lot of 3 led's in series for 12v with a small resister, or 4 led's in series if that is bright enough (have to experiment)

Course, to do a whole strand might take a lot of time and effort and a lot of soldered joints and heat shrink tubing to get it all water tight again... They would run for a long time on a little 12v SLA though :D

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The_LED_Museum said:
This set was made exclusively for Target; it uses four AA cells and has 18 LED lights in the string - available in multicolor and all-white that I'm aware of.

Thank Craig, That's the string I was looking for but I couldn't find them in my local Target.