suggestions please: cheap thrower

eart

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I've been reading the forums and researching on my own for quite a bit, but I'm currently at a loss. I have a PeakLed Matterhorn (my EDC) and a TwinTask 2D. I'm pretty sure between the two of those I got the "low power, long life" range covered. The only problem though, is the reach. Neither the twintask nor the matterhorn have that much of it. I need something that I can use to highlight a tent 50 feet away for instance. I'd like to keep the price and size reasonable (around $50 and maybe another 2Ds?) at the expense of battery life. Costco HID is too big, SFs are pricy for the output they get (although I've never seen one in person).

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
You might consider the Dorcy Metal Gear for a cheap thrower. You can find them at WalMart for about $19. Check out some of the other threads for more info. There's been alot of discussion about this light. Most folks like it, but you can get a bad one. It runs on 3AAAs.

Geoff

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDbeam 3C may be just the ticket. It's a 3C Mag clone that uses a Lux 3 as it's light source.

All the details are in this thread.

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
You can buy a LED Beam light, which is comparable to the M@G 3C in size. Review can be found here:

I paid $35 for mine, and took put in an old glass camera filter so I have a scratch-resistant lens. It is super bright, and gives plenty of throw. I take her to work all the time, comes in handy in low-light areas and even to blind someone if needed! For the price, I think it can't be beat-- just so long as you don't mind the size. Anyone out there mod one to a smaller tube size?

*EDIT*-- Damn, he beat me to it!

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Second the vote for the 3C Ledbeam.

It's the best throwing Luxeon I own.

Last time I looked, it was $ 24.95 shipping paid.

eart

Newly Enlightened
Interesting, keep 'em coming!

Something I've just thought about - does it make sense to keep to the same battery style? Right now I have an AAA light, and a 2xD light. If I stick with Ds, I can potentially swap/exchange batteries in case I need to... but yeah, keep 'em coming!

-e

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt the LEDBeam can be beat for the price. Sure, it's kinda long and kinda not pretty, but it's reliable and it throws and gives good runtime. It throws almost as well as an actual Magmod and in fact the reflectors are swapable between the LEDBeam and a cutdown Mag reflector needed for a Magmod. Personally I prefer the beam from the LEDBeam and use it in my most often used Magmod.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Princeton Tec Surge is the cheapest and best throwing light I can think of right now. It has over 8000 LUX and a lot of lumens to really put a lot of light on a subject 50 yards away. It's an incandescent which runs for 4 hours on 8AA alkaline batteries or reduced output with 4AA batteries. Small, tough and waterproof because it's actually a dive light. They can be found for cheap too. Oh, and no need to worry about the runtime since you probably wouldn't use this powerful light for long runtimes anyway if you have the other lights you mentioned handy.

If you want 50ft of throw the SL 4AA ProPoly LUXEON is a great light with about 4 hours of regulated light.

I also read good things about the LEDbeam but don't have experience with it.

Last edited:

spoonrobot

Enlightened
I suggest the Mag 2C modded to accept 3x123 cells and run a 6D magnumstar xenon lamp. total cost should be less that 25$ and throw should be on par with a TL-3.

All you have to do is buy some 5/8 automotive heater hose, slit it down the middle and then slide it in the battery tube and bend the spring in the tailcap slightly with some pliers so that it will contact the last 123 battery. If you look around you can find the 6D xenon bulbs online for less than 3$ shipped each. Battery life should be around 1-1.5 hours with the xenon bulb but you can also overdrive a 5D krypton mag bulb if you can't find the 6D xenon.

If you want a prettier beam buy some krylon crystal clear acrylic spray and stipple the lens. Spray from about 18-24 inches away only a little at a time and check the beam after each coat. It will give the mag a perfect beam with a sweet round hotspot if done correctly. It works better for me than stippling the reflector and is easier to reverse if you mess up.

*To get an idea of what this looks like breath on the lens so that it fogs up and then check the beam. Also, this works better on the stock polycarbonate lens than a glass UCL lens.

I have some pics if you want to see the beam, let me know.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gotta go with the two suggested lights, the LEDbeam 3C, and the Streamlight 4AA luxeon. Both of these are real winners, and have TONS of throw! The LEDbeam has more throw if you are looking to pinpoint a person or object, but the SL appears to actually light up more area in comparison.
No matter which you buy, you will be happy.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've built a number of the 3x123+KPR112/113 and 4x123+KPR118 mods. Without stippling, there are tremendous artifacts. With stippling, throw is severely diminished.

I'm not knocking the light because sale of those mods (and a few Lux III Magmods) has almost singlehandedly funded my purchases through 2005, but sputtered, they aren't in the same class as the Surge or even the LEDBeam.

AshA4

Banned
I'd go with the LEDBeam (24.95 shipped) but if you want to keep with D cells, how about the Dorcy 3D Super 1 Watt (21.99 Target) While the Dorcy doesn't have the prettier hotspot of the two it has just as good throw as the LEDBeam and it allows you to keep your D cells. Good luck!

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend a Streamlight TL-3 incandescent light for around ~$60.

I had both the TL-3 and a Mag-lite 2C mod running 3X CR123, 9V 6D Mag-lite magnum star bulb, UCL lens, and a cammed light orange peel reflector from Otokoyama. If I were to choose one, the TL-3 would be it because of size. It is A LOT smaller.

You said something about illuminating a tent so I assume you are camping, TL-3 wins over the 2C, the Mag is good the TL is better :)

I was about to recommend the 2C mod, but after mods it'll cost ~$20-$25 ($15-$20 for the light and $5 for bulb and 2C to 3 X CR123 tube from hardware store.) But factor in size and the TL-3 is worth the extra money.

After using Tigerlights and M6's, I guess I'm spoiled. I sold all my 2 and 3 X CR123 incandescents and live at 17000+ lux :) (or 300+ lumens)

Jason

colubrid

Enlightened
I don't like the Ledbeam 3C because the batteries rattle to much. I hate that feel when I pick it up.