Any body use linux?

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
just wondering. I made a live cd with knoppix for free and am now using it.

My intention is to use it to try to fix spyware and viruses, but I've run into some problems. One of which is that linux has troubles deleting files on a NTFS formated drive. Since I am using windows xp pro on my laptop, I can only use NTFS. Is there any way to get around this? The reason I want to do this is that I've had trouble in the past with files that would not delete because other process were running that was using it, that wouldnt go away.

Any way, what else can I use this for, what else can I use this for to help fix my computer, or what does it just do better than windows? Other than a just for fun thing, is there anything that would make it worthwhile to learn commands and such?

I'd like to keep windows as my primary browser because I dont want to deal with compatability issues with my programs and games.

Is there any one else that uses Knoppix? what do you use it for?

How much "safer" is linux than windows in terms of spyware and such? Better than macs? same? worse?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Last question first. A properly configured Linux system has a much lower chance of being sucsessfully compromised than a stock Microsoft product. A Windows XP system, fresh out of the box, will be assulted by a virus within 17 minutes of being connected to the internet. The chances that the attack is sucsessful depends on your luck and when the PC was built.

I use a windows PC for games. It's not exposed to the internet except through a dedicated hardware firewall. It's not XP. Win 98 has problems, but I avoid most security holes by using as few windows products as possible.

The first hit on google using "knoppix ntfs" gave me a site that says how to access NTFS partitions
http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/#ntfs

What does Linux do better than MS Win??? It depends. I use it for everything except games and accessing fancy hardware like my palm pilot Tx. It's ultra dependable, as in it virtually never crashes. If a program crashes on my I know there's a hardware problem or I need to find and fix the code.

Just like with windows, you need to check new hardware for compatability before buying. Just like how sometimes you can't run that latest game on Win 98, but need XP SP2 (not 3). Sometimes that means deciding on the purchase before you drive to the store.

It's not that I have windows. I just like Linux.

Daniel
P.S. Please take what I say with agrain of salt. I've been using and administering Unix systems since the late 1970s.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you partition a harddrive to allow Windows and Linux to run on the same computer? If not, could it be possible with another HD?

-tom

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Yes, you can set up a dual boot system. I've done that for my "traveling PC" that I take to customer sites. That allows me to boot into windows to be compatible with the customer or Linux to have all my favorite utilities available.

I don't bother with dual boot at home, since a second PC was left over after a few years of upgrading my main one. Getting a virus under Windows can ruin the whole installation. Besides, I like having my PC running 24x7 and never having to boot it.

Hmmm. It's been 47 days since the last extended power failure. That's when I last booted my linux box.

Daniel

cyberhobo

Enlightened
Check out Sysinternals, I believe they have a DOS boot progam that will not only read but also write in the NTFS file system. Also, Google RescueME Dos.

Last edited by a moderator:

carrot

Flashaholic
offroadcmpr said:
just wondering. I made a live cd with knoppix for free and am now using it.

My intention is to use it to try to fix spyware and viruses, but I've run into some problems. One of which is that linux has troubles deleting files on a NTFS formated drive. Since I am using windows xp pro on my laptop, I can only use NTFS. Is there any way to get around this? The reason I want to do this is that I've had trouble in the past with files that would not delete because other process were running that was using it, that wouldnt go away.

The Linux kernel native drivers have a problem safely working with NTFS files. You'll need the Captive drivers (a frankensteinian monster built from WINE, ReactOS drivers, and the Windows drivers), which is said to work surprisingly well. I've never tried it, as I gave up Windows around the time XP came out. I'm not sure if you can run it in Knoppix, but if you ask around on irc.freenode.net in #knoppix somebody might give you a way to do it. If you don't have an IRC client, navigate to http://geekinstinct.com/cpf and use the free IRC client I have hosted there. You'll need Java. Then enter the command "/join #knoppix" when it finishes connecting to the server. There's also an IRC client on Knoppix, which should be fairly easy to use.

Any way, what else can I use this for, what else can I use this for to help fix my computer, or what does it just do better than windows? Other than a just for fun thing, is there anything that would make it worthwhile to learn commands and such?
Linux is more stable and secure. If you disable the graphics server like I did, and become a terminal/command-line junkie, you may find your productivity up -- no GUI nonsense to deal with. Not everyone likes that, though. There are also plenty of utilities and such to do things that may fix your computer, but I don't know them offhand.

I'd like to keep windows as my primary browser because I dont want to deal with compatability issues with my programs and games.
Using CrossoverOffice and Cedega, I have managed to use most of the Windows applications I need -- Office 2000, IE6.0 (for testing websites), Shockwave, and Quicktime. I'm told iTunes will also run on the latest version of CXO, which I do not have. Cedega will let you play a good amount of Windows games, such as HL2, Doom3, and generally, any Blizzard game. CXO and Cedega are not the perfect solutions, but they work well enough for me to be satisfied with them (and pay the reasonable prices).
The other alternative is for you to dual-boot operating systems -- that means having both Linux and Windows on the same computer, and being able to select which to load when your computer turns on. Using two hard drives for this is more convenient, but one works just as well. If you're interested, I highly recommend Ubuntu Linux. If you feel you can handle reading dozens of well-written documentation pages and posting on forums to figure out your problems, Gentoo Linux is better, but requires a lot more effort (an understatement) to install and maintain -- Ubuntu is almost a one-click installation.

Is there any one else that uses Knoppix? what do you use it for?
I use Knoppix when I want to ensure a fair amount of security on a public computer. Sometimes I need to configure the settings to work properly on the network. I use Gentoo Linux (not really for Linux newbies) on my desktop exclusively.

How much "safer" is linux than windows in terms of spyware and such? Better than macs? same? worse?
Linux currently has no viruses, trojans, spyware, adware, or malware to worry about. Not any that can be remotely installed on any Linux distribution's default settings, anyway. This is a combination of Linux by default being more secure -- everything is permission-based, allowing a lot less security vulnerabilities, and Linux obscurity -- as Linux is generally not a popular "average Joe" desktop operating system, crackers (not hackers -- hackers are programmers with above-average skills -- this has been misportrayed by the media) do not usually target Linux. Without PHP, OpenSSH, and Apache, your standard desktop Linux is incredibly safe.

Macs may be getting a wave of viruses and trojans soon. A few months ago, someone posted a prototype "proof-of-concept" Mac trojan. Mac junkies were not happy. However, this is due to more crackers being interested in targeting OSX, rather than Macs being less secure. A recent study suggested OSX is more secure than Linux by default, but as a user of both I see no major security differences, aside from all network ports being blocked by default on OSX. Macs currently do not have any real security threats or malware of any kind to be worried about. This may change, however. (I really hope it doesn't.)

cornkid said:
Can you partition a harddrive to allow Windows and Linux to run on the same computer? If not, could it be possible with another HD?
Yes, you can do either.

gadget_lover said:
I've been using and administering Unix systems since the late 1970s.
*bows*

Last edited:

shaman

Newly Enlightened
I use it, on quite a few of my home/work PCs.

Knoppix is one of those CD distros that really can come on handy, I mean really handy. IIRC knoppix can both read and write to NTFS but some have had issues with this. But some scenarios where knoppix or other liveCD distros can come in handy... For server/workstation crashes it can be used to get files and date off the HD to a USB,FTP,some other location. For use on those PCs that have no HD, you can still get online (kinda like a kiosk). Good for troubleshooting HD,MB,RAM, and plain old PC burn-ins. Good for Ghosting (the linux way) other PC HDs.

Learning linux commands can be very awkward at first, but the benefits of doing so can be very great. Back in the late 90's seemed like everyone knew the windows side (and were paid well) but there were very few linux people. Looking back, many of those windows people were merely glorified overpaid operators. With that said, I have seen novice linux users know more that intermediate+ windows users. Because linux is quite command driven and open it promotes learning on a whole new level. A top knotch linux admin is a true awesome site to see.

If you wanted to create a Dual Boot system it is quite easy and many linux distros will almost do it for you (as long as you provide the right info). I have 3 Dual boot right now, and if it were for some apps I would be full time linux at home.

I use linux Live CDs for recovery and security purposes. There are just some things that are better kept on CD than on HD.

Security is like History, you only here the stories about the winner. Mac has had an quite good security record, but doesn't have the volume of OSes out there like MS. Linux has a good bit of OSes out there, but not as much as MS (which is why linux has had more security issues than Mac). MS, well we all know about the security so nuff said. All this to say, the top dog will always be the one who gets everyones attention (whether from hacks or media). In my opinion, linux can be more secure than others, but make no mistake you can make any OS secure with money and time. No OS is safe, some are just targeted more than others (which goes back to my statement about linux promotes a new level of learning). Most linux people know enough to secure their boxes to a decent degree, this is not the case on the windows side.

I don't have the experience/knowledge that gadget_lover or others have, so don't take my word for it. One thing is for certain, only a small group of the linux OS fan base when asked "Why linux?" will give you an unbiased answer. And many times it will simply be like what gadget_lover stated "I just like Linux".

Sincerely,

Shaman

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP can use FAT32 as can any Microsoft OS except NT 4.0. But I wouldn't use it because I think NTFS is better.

Not being able to delete files because they are in use should be easy get around. All the files in your user account "Documents and Setting\<username> can be deleted by simply logging off and logging in to another account. There are also programs that will delete files at startup, but I haven't used them. Here's one:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

If it's a bleepin' video file the XP "preview" can cause you grief. Here's a link:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/howto-delete-xp.html

You can also install a second XP on another partition, and activate it with the same key. This is always a good idea in case of problems.

I also have a Linux that boots from and runs from a CD. I use Slax. It is handy for troubleshooting problems. I don't think it claims to handle NTFS, and even if it did, I wouldn't trust it.

Actually it's possible to boot and run XP from a CD. It's called BartPE. It's probably more work than using a "live" Linux though.
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Last edited:

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Thanks for all of your responses and links. I think I have it figured out now. Thanks

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Converted over a little while back myself from Windows.

I'm using PCLinuxOS. For a newbie it's great. I have pretty much a point and click interface GUI while I later learn all the command line aspects.

Updating with Synaptic is a breeze too.