Mod Question

Uriah

Enlightened
I did the pot mod to a leadlight 105 and now the beam starts out strong and begins to fade after only a few seconds.I have tried to readjust the pot and that didn't help.New batteries no change.Any suggestions?After the beam fades a bit it seams to stabilize but not as strong as it was before the mod.
Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

LASERSforLIFE

Newly Enlightened
i also did the pot mod to my 105...
but now there's little like... lines around the beam...
check the photo...

anyone know of a fix for this?
it doesn't bother me that much, but it's there... so yeah.
and also, i guess i got unlucky, cause mine is not THAT much brighter after the pot mod, but it definitely is brighter.

Corona

Enlightened
Most likely cause (to the lines around the beam) is fingerprint or smudge on the output lens. Clean it and you should be back to a nice spot.

Sometimes reflections from the output cap aperture can cause this, if the beam is way off-center and you reassembled it resulting in the beam edge hitting the aperture, these reflections will show up as arcs and lines etc.

You have to remove the cap to effectively clean the lens anyway; if it gets better with the cap off before you clean the lens, it's alignment

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Hi Uriah,
I had two of the leadlights that did the same thing. After adjusting them I was able to get 25mW out of one on a continuous basis. The other would put out 50mW, but only for a second or two, then it was down to about 15mW until the laser was cooled. What the problem is is that the laser is getting to hot or the crystal set cannot handle the power.

Jack

Corona

Enlightened
It's only my semi-educated guess, but I believe that the manufacturers are now "binning" nearly all modules. Consider these "facts" that contribute

1) They are making thousands of assemblies, mass production at high rate
2) They must test and adjust these to comply with various power limits (i.e. <1mW, <5mW)
3) This test process is at least semi-automated and, most likely, monitors feed current as well as output power
4) Binning is based on Output Power vs Input Power (efficiency)

And, most important - the goal of the manufacturer is to maximize yield and thus profit. Any means to do this WILL be exploited to it's fullest extent. Price Wars beget other tradeoffs. This will generally continue as a downward spiral (to the consumer) as sell prices nosedive and manufacturers fight it out to maintain profitablity and market share.

Anyway, the most inefficient assemblies, the ones that need, say 200mA to make 1mW, these go into the "1mW" bin and the container ship brings these mostly to Australia, I guess.

The "average" assembly is kicked into the "5mW" bin. Most of them fit this group, as this is the largest market sector, due to FDA classifications, etc.

And the best ones - these get selected for distributors that pay a little more, have a better supplier relationship, demand better units by specification requirement, etc. And these are the "special" ones that we can get by paying a little (or a LOT) more for.

If you wind up with a "poor" or even "average" assembly, you can pot/mod it all you want, the IR laser's emission wavelength will change over temperature; the physical alignment of the crystal stack may be poor, and the doping of the Nd:YVO4 crystal might favor a center frequency on the "wrong" side of the IR LD's thermal drift characteristic (and a particular LD's mean center frequency). This is "tolerance buildup", where the parts that constitute the whole are near, at, or beyond their design tolerances. Change any one of these variables, and the result is poor performance / failure to meet the overall original design specification.

Better assemblies are "better" because the individual optical/chemical/physical tolerances are better matched, and more tolerant of variations brought on by our meddling with pots and such.

In short, you have a dog, and you're not alone :(

Uriah

Enlightened
Hi Corona,
Thanks for the info,i guess i was a little surprised when i removed the button and there was a hole already in the plastic above the pot.I dont know if this is common or not.It was a brand new one won in an auction.
Thanks Again