Flashlight with headlamp discussion

fleegs

Enlightened
Well I think I have narrowed down what I like in a flashlight.

One for close up work - Ion, JiL DD

One for med range- McLux III PD, HDS U60

A night time flashlight (dark adapted eyes)- HDS U60

One for throw- M4, 3rd shift mag mod (lux3 running 3X123s, UCL)

And the rest for fun- Groovy (which I think is the improved Arc LS), LionCub (V2 software), FF2, JiL 1.3 with FluPIC, E2E, Quadstar, U2, VB16, NEOCAs, VIP, EL Blaster Jr., Raw, L0P, L1P, TNC AA, 6P

I would also like to try the Gatlight (multiple levels).

I really found a headlamp to be way more useful to me than a flashlight but not nearly has fun. I went hiking with around twelve flashlights but wished I had brought a headlamp. I wish they would make better headlamps (Hello Henry, hurry up :) )

That is what I have learned from my experiences. For what I use a flashlight for. Which is shining against a wall, checking in the backyard for throw, hiking at night, or some emergency I have yet to experience. Well...and anytime someone appears to need a flashlight. Which means they look at me. :nana:

That's it,
rob

Last edited:

toolboy

Newly Enlightened
Re: What I have learned

Well you like headlamps but they lack the throw your looking for, look no further. Go to www.bikelights.com and check out their arc li-ion ultra. You can make this helmet mount or convert an old headlamp band from a cheap one to this unit. Listen to these numbers:

675 lumens for 5 hrs (High)
550 lumens for 6 hrs (low)
batter is only 7 inches long and weights only 17oz, just over one pound. Stick it in your back pocket and forget it.

I've seen one run and this light rocks, but rocks comes with a price.

If you willing to part with the cash just thought I would show you the way into the light.

CLHC

Flashaholic

Too much going on here on CPF. System overload here. . .

drizzle

Enlightened

Delvance said:
Have you checked out Princeton Tec's line of headlamps ? They have some pretty nice ones...i'm considering getting one for myself when i go night hiking etc.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_index_headlamps.htm
Funny, I was just looking at those tonight for my own hiking and camping use. I've just about talked myself into the Apex. With that and a good (very) long throw light I think I will be set for keeping things lightweight but having all I need.

Delvance

Enlightened

drizzle,

Hehe i also settled on the Apex. Now to find one in Australia or some international online retailer =/

atm

Enlightened

I ordered one on eBay earlier today (it must be Apex day or something...), seemed to be the best option I could find for delivery to Aus.

Andrew

fleegs

Enlightened

Thanks everyone. Great info.

The Arc Li-ion ultra is crazy. I couldn't find a price and my Spidey senses tell me I shouldn't look for one. Man is that way brighter than I need. As a matter of fact that is my problem with most headlamps. They are too bright in some situations for me.

I actually had looked at the apex and didn't like it. But wouldn't you know that cupid brought me a gift certificate to a store that carries it. I will have to check it out again. I do wonder what the runtime curve of the 5mm LEDs looks like. I am not a big fan of the 5mm LED beam. That is why I do not like the Corona.

I do own some headlamps already. I have the Petzl Myo XP, Princeton Tec EOS, Princeton Tec Aurora, Black Diamond Ion, and Black Diamond Zenix. Plus I use to have the Princeton Tec Hukon HL, Black Diamond Moonlight/Gemini/Lunar headlamps.

But all of those headlamps do not come close to the quality of a flashlight like the HDS U60 or McLux III PD. That type of quality is what I am looking for in a headlamp. Hopefully the HDS headlamp will fill this void.

Again, thanks everyone for the suggestions.
rob

fleegs

Enlightened

Well, I went and looked at the Apex again. And wouldn't you know as luck would have it I now own one. After reading the review and seeing that it is waterproof to 1 meter, I decided to get it. So far it's great. Very bright. I would only ask for two changes. One, have some type of lock out for the controls to make it more packer friendly. Two, add a super low setting (one 5mm very low) to use with dark adapted eyes so you could find something in the middle of the night without blinding yourself. All in all this is now the best headlamp I own. Excellent job Princeton Tec!
Thanks for the advice. It worked great.

Rob