Why can I run my MAG951 with Protected LIR123 cells?

missionaryman

Enlightened
So I bought some 800mah LIR123a cells from eBay and back when I had no idea about the dangers of li ion batteries I tried to use tem to power an osram 12v 100w bulb overdriven @14.4V (10+ AMPS FORM 123's = stupid) and they powered the light for a few seconds, got real hot and then turned off. after a few minutes they would work again. i thought they were just getting discharged real quick because of the small capacity.

Then I read the sticky thread about the 123's that exploded in the kitchen cupboard and realised I was a very stupid man.

So last night I tried them to power my MAG951 (mag85) just for kicks - knowing that they were protected I thought they would just turn off like before but instead they power the light. Just as bright as the Sanyo 2500 nimh's I normally use.

Should't they not be able to handle the 3.14amps the light's drawing? I think because (like I found out from my earlier experiment with the 100w) they wait a few seconds to turn off they must only just get over the cold start and be able to hang in there.

Can anyone who knows tell me if I'm about to blow myself up and should stop now?

Last edited: