Comparing 3 LED work lights

Raccoon

Enlightened
I've found an LED work light that I might like, but there are three versions, and their specs are confusing. These are all by the same maker, btw.

First light is a 60 LED wand powered by 4 AA batteries. It boasts 1200 milicandels (mcd) of light.
Astro Pneumatic 6320 (cheaper here)

The second is a 30 LED wand powered by 12VDC. It boasts 550 lumens!?
Astro Pneumatic 6315

The third is a 30 LED wand powered by 4 NiMH cells (4.8VDC). It boasts the equiv of a 40 Watt lightbulb. This light also costs 3x more than the other 2.
Astro Pneumatic 6300

So, which light is brighter and better? Lumens, MCD, Watts... It's all so confusing. I found a Lumen / Milicandela converter that suggests the following:

1200 mcd = 15 lm
550 lm = 43755 mcd (!)

Certainly the second light isn't 37 times brighter?!

I'd really like the first light, because it has 60 LEDs and takes rechargable batteries. I'm confused by its description, and can't tell if it ALSO runs on a 12VDC power source aswell, which would be nice.

Last edited:

Yooper

Enlightened
Re: Comparing 2 LED work lights

The 6320 has 60 1200mcd LEDs, for 72000 mcd, or about 900 lumens.

The other two have 30 LEDs, probably exactly the same 1200mcd LEDs, for about half the light, approx 450 lumens.

A 40W 110V incandescent is typically about 450 lumens.

1200mcd isn't very bright as LEDs go. Nichia's are closer to 30,000 IIRC. Plus the 1200mcd rating is most likely quite optimistic.

That being said, I've been seriously considering buying a 6320 myself. It's a good deal because it actually comes with batteries and a charger.

Raccoon

Enlightened

I just can't imagine a 4 AA light putting off more lumens than a surefire. I mean seriously, 900 lumens? Most flashlights have trouble pushing 100 lumen, and they're using high discharge batteries with burn time of 2 hours. This work light suggests a burn time of 4 hours.

If you do buy one, please post a review of it. See, you have to buy one now. :)

Yooper

Enlightened

I didn't say I believed it was 900 lumens! Most manufacturers' lumen ratings are very optimistic. SureFire's ratings on the other hand are very conservative.

The 1200mcd rating of those LEDs does not take into account the inefficiencies of the total light's design, nor what is lost by the lens, or what the actual voltage applied to each LED is. 1200mcd is the measured rating of a prototype LED at its ideal voltage.

I also am really surprised by how inexpensive the 6320 is. Other 60 LED work lights that are rechargeable are 3 times the price. Weird. I am very tempted to buy one...

I've been trying to find reviews of LED work lights forever. There really aren't any...

Last edited:

Raccoon

Enlightened
Just think-- You could be the FIRST! :)

I'm also surprised at the price, especially considering how expensive its brothers are. Perhaps the 60 leds are really under powered and the light doesn't perform as originally expected, so the price was dropped. Who knows. But I am worried about all of those LEDs being powered by an unregulated battery source of 4 AA's. Would be interesting to modify this light to accept 10 cells for 12VDC.