Can you see a flashlight from the moon?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a few here have been successful at shining their flashlights on clouds.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Isn't an interation of the SF Beast used to signal satellites of something like that? Maybe it's a CPF Urban Legen; I've heard it, but haven't seen the original source.

Luminosus

Newly Enlightened
greenLED said:
Isn't an interation of the SF Beast used to signal satellites of something like that? Maybe it's a CPF Urban Legen; I've heard it, but haven't seen the original source.

I think that either the SF website or catalog says that an infrared filter is put on the M6 and used to signal satellites.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Exactly what Luminosus said regarding the IR Filter on the SureFire M6 and used to signal satellites from behind enemy lines—

Thought I read somewhere that the Great Wall of China can also be seen from the moon.

Macaw

Enlightened
Quoting the linked site:
"Astronomers can see light from distant objects even more clearly now because of the Hubble Space Telescope, a powerful instrument that has a great vantage point in space. In fact, it has been said that the Hubble can detect the light from a match on Pluto!"

I never heard that. A match's light from Pluto? Sounds almost impossible with even our current technology. This thing will have to detect only a few photons, VERY FEW!.

Last edited:

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt if anyone has seen a flashlight from the moon. As far as I know, there are no flashlight manufacturers or distributors there.

dcarch8

Newly Enlightened
Slightly OT to this thread. I heard this:

To pick up signals from the Mars landing craft, it like trying to pick up the vibration when a fly's wing falls to the ground, on the other side of the earth.

When you see the spactacular photos from Mars, think about that!

dcarch8