TL-3 bulb installation

BigBaller

Enlightened
Hi, the bulb in my Tl-3 came loose and fell in the head, I fished it out with some pliars and got it back in the plastic holder with the 2 holes, but gravity is the only thing holding it in, shouldnt it be tightened somehow? I dont know because I've never taken it apart before. When I screw the head back on the body the bulb wont light up, and screwing it off the bulb remains stuck in the red ring in the head and separates from the plastic insert. Whats wrong? Any help much appreciated.

maxilux

Enlightened
The problem can be the red ring,when the bulb is a little bit to big, take it away and make a test, i think your problem is away.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was changing a lamp some time ago and had a similar problem, I'm just not sure it was my TL-3. Anyway, I realized the holes I was putting the bi pins in weren't the correct holes (i.e., there were actually 2 sets of holes in the head.) Look closely, maybe that's the case.

Good luck.

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
Also, to help the bulb stay put (and possibly also help the pins make electrical contact, if that is part of the problem you have):

Somebody, in a recent TL-3-related thread said that they deliberately bent the pins of the bulb apart a little, so that they "gripped" better in the socket - which makes them less likely to be pulled out by the red ring in the future.

[Edit: I suspect the bulb-falling-out problem occurs as the red ring pulls on the bulb when the TL-3 head is being focussed. I've never had this problem, possibly because I don't change the focus of the beam - I leave it on tight focus...]

Last edited:

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
BigBaller,

Yes, you need to put the pins into the widest holes. Bending them al little will help if needed. I removed the red ring from the bezel, but after this had a hard time trying to position the bulb for maximum focus. So I put it back in and leave the head alone after focusing it.

Kees

BigBaller

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies but its too much hassel so I sold it. I like the surefire bulbs alot better, I think I'll buy an M2. :evil grin:

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
BigBaller: This information is a bit too late, since you've sold your TL-3 now. Sorry!

To everyone else who may be reading this, who likes their TL-3, but has problems with the bulb falling out, this may be of interest if you don't know it already:

There appears to now be a "shock-isolated" lamp assembly available for the TL-3, where I *assume* the bulb is permanently attached to the rest of the assembly. E.g:

http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=FL532&cat=2837

I say I *assume* this, because I haven't ordered one (I don't have a problem with my bulb falling out.) Also, they don't seem very widespread just yet (had trouble finding a link to one of them).

Paladin

Enlightened
I ordered one of the new "shock-proof" lamp assemblies. I needed a spare for a Thunder Ranch Rifle Illumination Kit which came with the new "shock-proof" TL-3.

The filament height when used in the older reflector is different than the older bi-pin lamps, and hot spot focus seemed worse with the new lamp assy. installed. Also, when comparing the factory Thunder Ranch TL-3 "shock-proof" model against a pair of bi-pin TL-3's it had a poorer hot spot. The focus is mainly an issue when wall hunting, they all throw outdoors as well as a Surefire P90 lamp assy. IMO. At 25 yards a wide expanse of well lit back yard appears!

Paladin

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
BigBaller said:
Thanks for the replies but its too much hassel so I sold it.
I sold mine for the same reason. In fact, I had even more problems getting two different 12V bipins to achieve and maintain contact in my 3x168A FiveMega Stinger. It's gone, too, and I doubt I'll ever buy another bipin.