Side clickies anyone?

connortn

Newly Enlightened
All of my flashlights are of the side clickie type except a G2. Why? Because I just like them better. Maybe it's because all the lights I've used in nearly fifty years has had this type of switch and I've just gotten use to it. I just find it inconvient to use twisty/tail switches. I'll probably get a lot of feed back from this but I'm too old to change now! But something I thought I'd never do was go to "LED only" lights as all I'd tried were of awful blueish tints. Then I purchased a River Rock 2C w/o realizing it was a "spot" type of light. I wanted the 2C for long runtime and it was a side clickie, and figured I'd try it, I could always return it. Well, I've fell in love with it for my houselight and even purchased another one. The beam has a slight yellowish tint instead of the awful blue that others I'd tried and the spotlight effect is fasinating to me.

Well, I started reading the LED section here and became interested in the L1P as everyone raves about it, but it doesn't have the side clickie that I much desire.

I guess it's not possible to "add" a side clickie to one of these but wondered if it were possible to use the internal componants of one in a good quality side clickie light. I think it would be very do-able for me but I need to find a good quality sideclickie flashlight to house it in.

So I'm asking all who read this to post leads to qood quality lights with side clickies that use a single AA battery as thats what the L1P uses. Even 2 cell AA lights would be concidered as I can shorten it for 1 AA and rethread it on my lathe.

I'd also like to hear from others who like side clickie flashlights.

Connortn

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a long time I was partial to side-clickies as well. But the more engrossed I became in CPF and my flashlight habit, the more I found myself riding the "smaller is better" bandwagon. I still prefer side clickies for some applications (usually where a "larger" light is required), but if it's "smaller" I'm looking for I find that tail switches (twist and clicky) allow for a shorter profile. Side clickies (usually) require extra length in the body of the light to allow space for the switch mechanism. Tail switches require extra length as well, but usually not as much as a side clickie. As far as single AA cell lights that use side clickies are concerned, I can't think of any off the top of my head that meet that criteria. However, if there are lights out there that meet this preference, I'm sure someone will chime in shortly to point you in the right direction!

PJD

Flakey

Enlightened
the problem with side clickies is the amount of real estate that they take up. have you ever looked at your maglight and wondered why it is so freaking long compared to the amount of batteries that are shoved in it? i mean look at the end of your light, there is already a big spring in it, why not put the swich inside of it. the smaller the light the less practical the side clicky becomes. i would love to have a side clicky on my u2 but it just wouldnt be the u2 with it, to big, to long .... it wouldnt be my little pocket light anymore, the led assembly makes it big enough already.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Well, you could try to get some Greatlite 32021 2AA flashlights to mod. These are basically minimag clones with a sideclicky. These lights have a plastic plug with a 2 pin fitting at the business end of the battery tube which can be removed, so it will be easier to rethread it for a fenix head.

32021.gif

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Maglight 3D,
EL Blaster flashlights,
Energizer 2D,
ELX-3
Nuwai 3c 3 Watt,
Dorcy cool blue,
Brinkman 2C,
Palight,
Some multiled ebay lights,

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Original design of MY LITTLE FRIEND. Tailcap clickie.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1133733&postcount=1
Final design (I hope) Side clickie.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1330609&postcount=128

Go over to LRI's forums and keep track of the Proton's progress. Might be just what you are looking for.
I think they switched the design from a Jupiter LED (same as the RR2C) to 6X Nichia CS which can get very blue when overdriven. Check for that before you buy.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1130362&postcount=17

Last edited:

alberto

Enlightened
Don't care for side clickies myself. Used to think they were fine on large heavy mag lights to have the clickie near the balance point, which your hand would have to be, but don't have any large lights anymore.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Side clickies are very nice if you have arthritis, which can make it rough to operate big, two handed twisties like dive lights. I don't think that anyone has mentioned that it's problematic to put a clickie on the side of a small diameter light.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love side clickies and am sad that high quality lights like Aleph's etc do not have a side option.

However Georges80 made a custom board for a modder/manufacturer and am sure that he would make more for others manufacturers if there was enough interest.

switchdriver.jpg

To my mind, a side mounted switch is a very common sense switch position.
However it is not necessarily the easiest to manufacture. As long as users don't mind holding their lights at shoulder height or above in the stance referred to as 'tactical', we will continue on with 'tail end' click switches.

KVegasPhlash

Newly Enlightened
You may want to have a look at the Nuwai TM-317X. It uses 1 AA. Feels very sturdy, including the side clicky that cycles among low power, high power, and off. It is a reverse clicky, though.

Haven't put it on the meter yet, so can't speak to output and runtimes, but it does not have the output of the L1P or Kino Bay.

It has a smaller center spot than many others, but does seem to have adequate spill. The two-stage design adds length to the light, but you may find that fits the hand better.

It comes with a pocket clip and wrist lanyard, for about $15 as I recall...

drizzle

Enlightened
I'm also a side clicky fan and was very happy when Wayne changed the Little Friend from tailcap clicky to side clicky.

However I just bought the Fenix L1P and for this size light I think a tailcap clicky works best. It has been very easy to get used to closing my hand around the entire light with the tailcap by my thumb. I then turn it on with my thumb and point it by holding my fist up. This isn't how I would want to hold a flashlight for extended use but for a quick look it is perfect. I also think that a side clicky on a light this small would actually be inconvenient since it wouldn't "feel right" in the hand the way a larger flashlight does.

P239

Newly Enlightened
Even though I had nothing but tail switches for the past severakl years, I've always been a closet side clicky person. Both of my new lights are of the side switch variety, a T-5 from INOVA and something else from the LED Shoppe.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the smaller the light, the worse a side switch makes it.
Take the "greatlite" (?) above, or a Dorcy 2AA Excell, or anything similar.
Great for modding and to give away, but for using regularly and EDC?

These lights have the length of a short 3 AA light!
Or, when being 1 AA, the lenght of a 2AA,
when the other light has a push/twistie.

Worse in output and runtime, a no go

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer side clickies. They are easier to use, requiring one hand to operate, and it just feels more natural to me when compared to a tail clickie or twisty. I have all 3 types, and see the advantages of each, but like the ergonomics of the side clickie best.

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
Got one of these but its cr123.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/aurora_lensed.htm

I don't use it much simply because of the optics...just don't like the round beam w/ no spill. Build quality seems ok. Ended up being tossed into my desk drawer at work. May consider finding a new home for it :naughty: since I really don't like shelf queens. Even flashlights need exercise :lolsign: .

I have no preferences for or against side clickies from a usage standpoint, just not many available in the smaller form factors.

fore

Newly Enlightened
I like side clickies too. I find side clickies more ergonomic in general even on smaller lights, but the action of the switch is more important to me than the location. For the AA size, I'd like to see a side clickie contender. I wasn't a big fan of the switch on the L1P and I ended up using it as a twisty before I traded it. Now I'm looking for another AA light.

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
I like a side clickie. My pelican M1 led is one of the smallest I own that has a side clickie. It's not my EDC, but I like it very much.

I'm pretty used to the side clickie and find some of the tail twisters difficult.

connortn

Newly Enlightened
Hey MayCooper and Bruddamoke:

I like both of your ideals. I'll give both of them some thought. I placed an order with the Fenix web site for an L1P to give it a try as is. Maybe I can get use to it if I try hard enought. I especially liked the mods that 4seven is doing with these and have sent him an email about an ideal for the L1P. I hope he's game. He must be one swell guy from what I've been reading here.

Thanks...

Connortn

jburgett

Newly Enlightened
I too like side clickies . . . except for one problem.

You reach for it for a quick splash of light, and what are the odds you have grabbed it in the right orientation that your thumb is over the switch? You must plan on having to rotate the light to find the switch. With a tail clickie, you at least have a 50% chance that you have your thumb over the end with the switch.

Of course, this is more for pocket carry lights.