Infrared Glasses?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Nope. IR LEDs are well beyond the range of human sensitivity, with or without passive IR filtering. You'll notice that the seller cialms that the eyes can see "even out to 750nm," but IR LEDs are in the range of 808-900nm.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anyone read the "sniper notice"? I'd post it but that would result in an unhappy moderator.

mccavazos

Enlightened
LowBat said:
Did anyone read the "sniper notice"? I'd post it but that would result in an unhappy moderator.

Yeah, whats up with that?

And someone should buy a pair of these and let us know what they are like!

jmw19

Newly Enlightened
Ummm, I don't think they'd do much at all - there's no light sealing around the edges, so your eyes would still get swamped by ambient light.

The original post for IR goggles is http://amasci.com/amateur/irgoggl.html - note he uses welding goggles, which do block pretty much all ambient light.

Even if IR leds could produce the proper wavelength to be seen with these goggles, most don't produce anywhere near the intensity to be visible. Note the goggles work best under full sunlight, though I'd bet a good hotwire or spotlight would make enough IR to be useful...

Pretty cool idea, but not this iteration (and the sniper notice is just stupid).

Jon

StuGatz

Enlightened
There was a reference to black clothing appearing white and vice versa as well as possibly being able to "see through" clothing.

Sounds something like the early Sony 8mm camcorders with "night-shot" that were able to capture images under certain circumstances that gave the impression of being able to "see through" light colored clothing.

What a morooonic ad though...

All the very best,

Stuart

David_Web

Newly Enlightened
You do realise that you can't see IR at all, only near IR. With no reference for the eyes to see if something is too bright or not they will not blend down when something bright (or in this case hot) gets in your FOV. Meaning that you will burn up your eyes.
The only thing these glasses do is block all normal visible light so the eyes think it's too dark so they open them selvs. If you thing it hurts when someone pulls away the curtains on a sunny day when you have been in a dark room for hours, you can imagen what your eyes would think if you would look at the sun but with no reflexes that made you cover your eyes.