Colored Luxeon Runtimes?

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Are colored luxeons likely to get better runtime than white luxeons? I'm particularly interested in red as I have just recently gotten a red Fenix L1P from 4 sevens. I must say, BTW that is is the best red LED light that I have seen so far.

At any rate, I know that the red 5 mm LEDs get fantastic runtime compared to white 5mm but didn't know if this energy conserving tendency extended to luxeons as well. I know someone here can tell me all about it! LOL. :)

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Peter

The Red, RED / Orange, and Amber LEDs are typically made from AlInGaP instead of the GaN (used for Blue / White / Green), the significance being that they have a much lower forward voltage (Vf). For lights that are current managed, this will usually provide longer run time.

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Outstanding! Does anyone know of a runtime test listed anywhere showing the performance of AA 1 watt red luxeon? Maybe an old Arc LS test or something with a AA body? I know, worse comes to worst I can waste a battery to find out but I thought I'd ask. :)

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Well, I threw a fresh Duracell in there and fired it up. At about 1.5 hours it became much much much dimmer. It is still going at 2 hours and is putting out enough to navigate the house but nothing like on a fresh battery. So my suspicions were correct: red Luxeons are pretty much like white luxeons in terms of runtime and output. They are NOT like red 5mm LEDs at all.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter, the Vf of a typical RED Luxeon driven at spec runs about 2.5 - 3 volts, which is approx 0.5 - 1 volt lower than the typical white. If you were to use a Lux III red, and drive it at 350ma, it would have an even lower Vf - probably closer to the 2 volts you are more used to from a 5mm.

There is a range of Vf within each part so that some almost overlap is possible. Still, when you are pulling almost 1 watt from a small battery, there are limits.

Many of the 5mm red parts are quite a deep red, which allows an even lower Vf, but also lower eye sensitivity.