Bubble or Inclusion In LED Dome

Dawg

Enlightened
Like the title says. I have a light that has a LED with a dome that has a small crack, open bubble or inlusion. Can this pop open at some time. This is a Luxeon 3 from what I can ascertain and it is putting out around 80 lumens. I would assume that it would not be much concern since the heat would be an issue at the underside of the pill where the heatsinking exists. Am I correct?

Whatever it is, it is open at the surface of the dome. I can snag it with my fingernail. There is no sign of any artifacts in the beam, in fact it throws a nice neutral white beam with no tint, and it is very bright.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd forget about it. LED's are in constant state of flux and by the time that thing is ready to be replaced, it's probably been obsoleted by 3 or 4 generations of LED technology.

Luna

Enlightened
Some of the supposed bubbles have been found to be glue (like on my gladius). I've also had bubble in emitters that I wasn't so lucky pulling off of a star :)

Either way, just used it til it croaks or replace it with a new one if OC like me (and others around here)

roguesw

Enlightened
there's not much you can do about it, if the dome is cracked, if its not affecting light output, dont worry about it, just use it and then later on, replace it,
on the other hand, bubbles can appear inside the dome if the lux is overheated(to a great degree), this happened to me when i was removing my first lux V from a star, i had heated the bottom of the heatsink with my soldering iron to soften the glue and inadvertantly caused the luxeon to overheat and caused the silicone (this is the material inside the dome) to bubble up. granted it takes a hell of a lot of heat to do this but it can happen.
des

Dawg

Enlightened
CM said:
I'd forget about it. LED's are in constant state of flux and by the time that thing is ready to be replaced, it's probably been obsoleted by 3 or 4 generations of LED technology.
I particularly like your attitude CM. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the input guys. Like I said in my original post, no artifacts, great tint. I really wasn't planning on messing with it as long as it is still working. I saw a picture someone posted of one that had almost the whole top of the dome chipped away and it still worked. I just wanted to hear some input from the Guru's.