Why is Streamlight's TL-3 LED so inexpensive?

Alterum

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks, I'm new to these forums and new to flashlights in general. I've just started looking for a higher-quality flashlight; I need decent battery life, like 2-3 hours continuous with little degradation in brightness, light-weight (preferably using those smallish disposable lithium batteries), rugged, and of course, very bright with good throw.

Surefires are too expensive so I've been considering Inova. However, I found a Streamlight TL-3 LED for about $40. This seems very inexpensive, as it seems just as good as if not better than Inova's T5, for example, and it's sold for double this amount elsewhere.

What do you think? Is this a good deal?

Thanks for your time!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a very good deal for the Streamlight TL-3 LED...Where did you see this price?

Streamlight's have always been reasonably priced, but very good quality.

Alterum said:
Hi folks, I'm new to these forums and new to flashlights in general. I've just started looking for a higher-quality flashlight; I need decent battery life, like 2-3 hours continuous with little degradation in brightness, light-weight (preferably using those smallish disposable lithium batteries), rugged, and of course, very bright with good throw.

Surefires are too expensive so I've been considering Inova. However, I found a Streamlight TL-3 LED for about $40. This seems very inexpensive, as it seems just as good as if not better than Inova's T5, for example, and it's sold for double this amount elsewhere.

What do you think? Is this a good deal?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's probably a TL-3 and not the LED version. Additionally, it's probably in OD Green, there seems to be a bunch of OD Green Streamlights that have been liquidated and popping up on web sites and auction sites, as Streamlight has discontinued this color.

EDIT: The TL-3 LED also uses a Lux 5, so the output is more flood than throw. That may not be appealing to those who are looking for a small flashlight that can throw a great distance.

Alterum said:
However, I found a Streamlight TL-3 LED for about $40. This seems very inexpensive

Last edited:

Alterum

Newly Enlightened
This is the LED version.

Two things that worry me are that the flashlight doesn't seem to score so well with regard to a throw rating on Flashlight Reviews, and the beam looks tinted blue...

Does anyone know how this would compare to an Inova T5 (or an X5)? Qualitative comparison is great if you've used both lights. I need something rather bright that penetrates rather far.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
To repeat Flashkat's inquiry ... where?

Alterum said:
This is the LED version.

Two things that worry me are that the flashlight doesn't seem to score so well with regard to a throw rating on Flashlight Reviews, and the beam looks tinted blue...

Jamrock

Newly Enlightened
$40 Buckaroos for a TL-3 LED? Where?
Is that for the GEN1(with round bezel) or GEN2 (anti-roll bezel)?

Btw, Welcome aboard to CPF:naughty:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez quoted:
EDIT: The TL-3 LED also uses a Lux 5, so the output is more flood than throw. That may not be appealing to those who are looking for a small flashlight that can throw a great distance.
What do you consider far throw?
Inova claims to throw 300 ft. which is no comparison.

Alterum said:
This is the LED version.

Does anyone know how this would compare to an Inova T5 (or an X5)? Qualitative comparison is great if you've used both lights. I need something rather bright that penetrates rather far.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that's an amazingly low price for a TL-3 LED! Someone recently sold one in the for sale forum and it was more than that (and I thought that was a good price already). I'm a big fan of Streamlight's Scorpion, TL-, and NF-series offerings.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you seem to have seen, the TL-3 LED does not throw as far as many other lights, not as good as an Inova T5 or even a T3 (X5 is not a thrower). It is a good deal at $40, but not for your purpose. Luxeon 3's throw better, and the new SL TL-2 LED throws just as well as the Inova T3. Inova T3, T5, X03, Wit's End CPF VB-16 ($64), Nuwai TM-115X (if your LED is centered), SL Tasklight 2L 3W (~$65) all throw further, but all cost more except the $25 deal on the TM-115 at Lighthound (uh-oh, the secret is out!).

Uh, where did you say you saw that TL-3 LED price? :whistle:

Alterum

Newly Enlightened
Okay, forget the fact that it's $40. I may be able to get it for that much, I may not. I'll tell you if I can. I just wanted to know if that was a good price.

Incidentally, how do you get a better throw? Can someone tell me how this light compares to an Inova T5? What about a T3? I'm going to need to be able to see a fairly good distance into caverns and things like that... (Also, I'd rather the light not be tinted! Inova lights look white, whereas the T5 LED -- on Flashlight Reviews, at least -- looks blue-ish.)

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't depend on the pics on FLR for tint...tint can vary from light to light of the same model. Plus, cameras do funny things to the tint of the LEDs. All are white-light Luxeons, but the tint you get, regardless of whether you get a Streamlight, Inova, Surefire, Pelican, etc. will be the luck of the draw.
I have a Scorpion LED which performs identically to the TL-2 and NF-2 LEDs and it has great throw! All are great lights, but I've heard (never tested) the TL-2 and NF-2 lights are more waterproof than the Scorpions. A Scorpion LED can be had for $40 and TL-2 and NF-2 are about $60...great values. They last about 3hrs to 50% original output and still make usable light thereafter.
My concern with Inovas for caverns and caves is that their spot beams may not provide enough surrounding illumination and you step somewhere you don't want to.

Alterum

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great information so far.

What is the step up, so to speak, from the TL-2? Same features, maybe longer battery life (I don't mind 3 batteries), same throw, brighter?

Can you get a brighter light if you're using the same bulb?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's funny. 300 ft. is the length of a football field. I happen to know, from practical experience, that a Streamlight SL-20 won't throw that far (with usable throw). I sure wouldn't expect any LED to be able to throw that far and have usable light.

It's not what I consider "far throw" but rather the unrealistic expectations that we see here every so often.

FlashKat said:
What do you consider far throw?
Inova claims to throw 300 ft. which is no comparison.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
jsr said:
My concern with Inovas for caverns and caves is that their spot beams may not provide enough surrounding illumination and you step somewhere you don't want to.
I was thinking the same thing....I don't walk caverns, but I would think a floody light with decent throw would be more practical.

Alterum

Newly Enlightened
FlashKat said:
I was thinking the same thing....I don't walk caverns, but I would think a floody light with decent throw would be more practical.

Like the TL-3 LED?

How does the Pelican M3 LED compare to these? It seems like a better light all-around...

Again, thanks for all the input!

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
See, you tease us and we need to know. I guess it's a private sale...:naughty:

Anyway, If you want megathrow from an LED, then The LED Logic Striker VG is the king of throw. Assuming you can't get one of the ?six?:laughing: MR-X torches in existance. I just ordered a Striker VG from batteryjunction for $110. See the review on FLR. About twice the throw any other LED reviewed... and it has strobe & low levels too. But it is a SPOTlight. Still, I consider it a deal and will do a minireview when I get it (soon, - fingers crossed).

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, excuse my manners. Welcome to CPF! (I think we forgot that portion ;) ).

Anyway, since you're not really sure of what you want. You might actually want to consider taking a step up by taking a step down. A popular light that you might want to consider that has excellent performance, a durable exterior, and a very low price, is the Streamlight 4AA Propoly Lux. It will outperform any of the lights that you've looked at for throw and has comparable if overall output to most (except the TL-3) and it can be had for under $30 with shipping.

Is there a specific reason why you need to get something like a TL-3? e.g. for work?

Alterum said:
Thanks for the great information so far.

What is the step up, so to speak, from the TL-2? Same features, maybe longer battery life (I don't mind 3 batteries), same throw, brighter?

Can you get a brighter light if you're using the same bulb?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T3 gets a bad rap for not having spill, but it does have some spill. I use mine for walking around all the time. Just depends on how much you really need.
FlashKat said:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Streamlight's product lineup, the TL-3 is "supposed" to be the step-up from the TL-2. However, as others mentioned, a Lux5 doesn't throw well, so while the TL-3 produces more light, it doesn't throw better.
For the same LED question, yes, you can get more light out of the same LED, but you would have to drive the LED harder and this results in lower runtime (more power getting drained from the battery).
I was going to suggest the Pelican M6 2390 and PentagonLight L2 or L3, but I didn't for the following reasons:
Pelican M6 2390 - tho brighter than the TL-2, it sacrifices runtime to do so and doesn't last as long as the TL-2.
Pentagonlight L2 - ditto as with the PM6 2390.
Pentagonlight L3 - seems to have similar runtime to TL-2, but it costs considerably more.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you...I am just stating what they claim.

300 ft. is unrealistic...you would have to mount it on binoculars to see the object:lolsign: especially having a spot with no side spill

Brighteyez said:
That's funny. 300 ft. is the length of a football field. I happen to know, from practical experience, that a Streamlight SL-20 won't throw that far (with usable throw). I sure wouldn't expect any LED to be able to throw that far and have usable light.

It's not what I consider "far throw" but rather the unrealistic expectations that we see here every so often.