• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Complete regulated drop-in kit for MagLites (PIR 1 drop-in) interest thread

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because so many of people asked for drop-in kits with our PIR 1 regulator, we have decided to make the most deluxe kit you will ever need. It will come with an aluminium switch replacement with a ceramic socket. The regulator itself is built in so you won't have to solder anything this time. Furthermore, it will come with a special battery pack for 4n*AA batteries for unbored Mags using contacts with much lower resistance than the original spring-in-the-tailcap-solution. They will come calibrated from us with your specified settings and reprogramming is done via a USB-interface.

So, what you will get is this:

• Complete switch replacement in aluminium
  • A built-in PIR 1 regulator
  • A special battery pack for 8*AA batteries for the 2D model, 12*AA for the 3D, 16*AA for the 4D model

As always, the regulator can cope with just about any voltage difference (where your battery voltage is higher than your desired bulb voltage) with a sustained >95 % efficiancy.

The only tools you need is a 2 mm hex key and a screwdriver. This mod requires very little modding skills and is totally reversible. You can make your own MR16-mod or a regulated MAG85 if you have a reflector in very short time. Power levels up to 50 W is not a problem and 100 W with some minor modifications.

This is an early version of how it will look. The final design will change...

switch.png

The price will be about $150, depending on demand. We need about 15 orders to make this work.

Last edited:

ddaadd

Enlightened
Re: Compleate regulated drop-in kit for MagLites (PIR 1 drop-in) sign up thread

Yes, Very Nice idea, waiting for pics. Will batteries occupy space that the original switch uses?

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the idea, but I don't see why these can't be retrofit kits for existing lights as well as for an entire new builds. This way those who want to go with li-ions still can or those that would prefer holders or 'A' packs could still do that.

I'm assuming your packs will need bored tubes to fit.

I'd probably get one this way, but would get several if the offering were more flexible.

Thanks

Last edited:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

ddaadd,

No, the switches will be just as big.

Bogus1,

What we wanted to avoid was the current taking the long way via the spring, chassises and into the switch. If people could live with that, we can certainly go with that too.
No, the battery pack will not require you to use a bored Mag unless your batteries are too thick.

Last edited:

cnjl3

Enlightened
I am waiting on pictures before i vote. I am leaning toward just the PIR1 & switch. I would like to see how the batteries connect to the rest of the package.

Shaocaholica

Enlightened
Yes! My HAIII mag is waiting for this kit! Winny, how will your 4n*AA pack fit in an unbored mag? I thought this was pretty hard reguardless of how you make the pack. Will having a 4xAA bored mag help? Also, will there by a charging socket built into the pack?

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shaocaholica,

The same way modamags adapters works without boring... I have successfully done it with 14500's and Energizer 2500's although the Energizers where tight.

I'll try to post more info tonight...

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
None planned but the design is not final yet...
They would have to live under the black rubber hood so they might not be that useful, or did I miss something?

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Batteries and Mag bodies vary enough that boring is just about required for 4X AA's to fit with any dependability. I don't think I would start a project like this without 100% certainty that the battery pack will fit in any D cell Mag the end user may have, JMHO. Tight or snug fit is not any option you will eventually tear the insulation on the cells opening up the possibility for a short = melt down.

I'm not sure how much the cells expand when they heat up from charging or discharging but they need to fit lose so they will have room to expand. My snug fit 2200 MAHA cells are on the very edge of fitting at room temp but if you try to load them hot off a charge it will tear the covers on the cells.

Hope this helps :)

Later
Kelly

Last edited:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picture added...

It's leaning towards that the battery adapter will be skipped in favor for full retrofit compability...

Shaocaholica

Enlightened
What are your plans for USB programmability? Will the port be accessible without taking the switch out?

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shaocaholica,

Yes. We plan to have a connector right next to the push-button so all you need to do is to take the hood of and connect your programmer.

inq2000,

"I can't figure out how to fix switch?"
What do you mean?

cnjl3,

We will use a different programmer (same brand though) but if you order one, we can make you a new connector for your old programmer.
The 50 W "limitation" is just an estimate based on that people will use NiMHs and the springs on the battery adapter and connector can't take an infinite amount of current. The regulator itself can still take up to 40+ A somewhere...

cnjl3

Enlightened

winny said:
What we wanted to avoid was the current taking the long way via the spring, chassises and into the switch. If people could live with that, we can certainly go with that too.

Since you are avoiding using the chassis as ground then is the bottom of the switch center positive with a negative ring or similar to a 9v battery side by side connections? Have you decided on a price without the batteries? I will need the price before i vote:)