Tax free lights and batts in Fl.!!

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know why it wasn't mentioned before.
Florida is having a couple of days of tax free purchases for hurricane supplies. No taxes on certain government listed items, including flashlights and batteries!!

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
webley445 said:
Florida is having a couple of days of tax free purchases for hurricane supplies. No taxes on certain government listed items, including flashlights and batteries!!
Flashlights gotta be less than $20, batteries less than $30

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's real nice of Dubya's baby brother; I just hope retailers don't take advantage of the situation by raising prices to pad for the tax reduction. That's a common ploy out here with retailers who advertise "no tax" sales to bump up a normally discounted item to a MSRP price during the "no tax". And a nationwide grocery chain based in the SF Bay Area regularly has 2 for 1 sales where the per unit price sometimes ends up being more than their "everyday low price". In any case if it is a state driven initiative, I hope the retailers don't get greedy and seize upon the opportunity.

webley445 said:

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
That's real nice of Dubya's baby brother; I just hope retailers don't take advantage of the situation by raising prices to pad for the tax reduction. That's a common ploy out here with retailers who advertise "no tax" sales to bump up a normally discounted item to a MSRP price during the "no tax". And a nationwide grocery chain based in the SF Bay Area regularly has 2 for 1 sales where the per unit price sometimes ends up being more than their "everyday low price". In any case if it is a state driven initiative, I hope the retailers don't get greedy and seize upon the opportunity.
I am convinced that large corps. dont pay a dime in tax, I went to Sam's Club to buy a generator 8500 w Honda during last years tax sale and mysteriously the price went up from $680US to $775US just about the 7.5% tax, I went to complain but everyone acted as if nothing was wrong.

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:
They sell flashlights for less than $20?!
Craziness is happening
Most flashlights sold will be the yellow Ray-O-Vac AA's, no one knows that SF or Inova exist.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep convincing yourself and eventually you'll believe it to be true.

There's really no such thing as a no-tax sale, it's a scam! In case you or someone else hasn't figured it out, it's percentage reduction sale where the price is reduced by the percentage of the tax (the store still has to pay the sales tax on the item to the state.)

I don't know about Sam's, but Costco doesn't have sales. They do have coupons and they are realistic price reductions, but they're also funded by the manufacturers, not the retailer. Find it kind of odd that Sam's would have such a sale, it really doesn't fall into the Sol Price business model that Sam's is patterned after (as is Costco). As such, your description of the generator transaction and pricing would seem correct and would not be diviating from their already reduced pricing.

cobra-ak said:
I am convinced that large corps.

Last edited:

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
Keep convincing yourself and eventually you'll believe it to be true.

There's really no such thing as a no-tax sale, it's a scam! In case you or someone else hasn't figured it out, it's percentage reduction sale where the price is reduced by the percentage of the tax (the store still has to pay the sales tax on the item to the state.)

I don't know about Sam's, but Costco doesn't have sales. They do have coupons and they are realistic price reductions, but they're also funded by the manufacturers, not the retailer. Find it kind of odd that Sam's would have such a sale, it really doesn't fall into the Sol Price business model that Sam's is patterned after (as is Costco). As such, your description of the generator transaction and pricing would seem correct and would not be diviating from their already reduced pricing.

Nah Its true. Florida isnt like california. the state doesnt charge the retailers sales tax for the week. Its a state thing, not a retailer thing. Its floridas way of making up for screwing over the elections twice in a row.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand the part about the state not collecting the tax from the retailers.

I guess I wasn't all that clear about it being the other "no-tax sales" (from other retailers in other states) and due to the various political ramifications, I don't even want to get into the issue of Florida screwing up elections. I'm sure that issue has come up enough and there has been more than enough esoteric discussions about that over the past 6-7 years. ;)

Sgaterboy said:
Nah Its true. Florida isnt like california. the state doesnt charge the retailers sales tax for the week. Its a state thing, not a retailer thing. Its floridas way of making up for screwing over the elections twice in a row.

Last edited: