will 10mm leds on Ghost II blow DC-DC converter?

refractrfractal

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered a bunch of 135k mcd 10mm white leds. I fine myself thinking that -- if it wouldn't blow out the DC-DC converter in the 1-AA Ghost II
[ http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/12-led-ghost-ii-p-210.html ] --
that light might be a great, inexpensive host at least for playing around with some of them.

Does anybody know much about the tolerances of the circuit in the Ghost II, or even what kind of components are in such a DC-DC converter and how sensitive it is liable to be to increasing current draw?

I assume that the voltage will be fine, but that the MA will go up, especially if I try to squeeze 3 or 4 of the 10mm's onto/into the 27mm wide bezel of the Ghost.

So, anybody: is this a reasonable thing to try? (broad definition of reasonable, of course)

I basically need a cheap and compact host for some of my new leds.

Thanks

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Most likely the boost circuit is more limited by lower Vf of LEDs and higher battery voltage input rather than by LED output. Given equal Vf of differing LEDs with identical input voltage source my guess is you will probably get about the same current out of the boost circuit to any LEDs be it 5mm, 10mm or even a luxeon or three.
current output (ma) shouldl only increase if you drop LED forward voltage Vf or raise input voltage.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I was having similar thoughts about some of my cluster lights... many of which seem to be made from large numbers of relativally low power LEDs... If they were all 50kmcd+ then these things would be scortchers. If I ever get really ambicious I might give such a soldering job an attempt--

too many flashlight related projects on the list of wishes, lol!!!

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did you remove the led housing, mine seem welded on.

I obviously can unscrew the whole unit, but access to the leds?

Is it twist hard, hot/cold, brute force, what ?

mdocod

Flashaholic
i've tried some minor twisting and stuff.. but my gut tells me that it is probably glued in place- might be hard to bust these end caps off these china cluster lights.. I'll try to remember to post a solution if I ever figure it out....
Imagine the 100LED showerhead, with all the LEDs replaced with really decent Nichias/or similar.... I *think* you could get up into the 200+ lumen arena.. lol.