Has anyone put a UCL-LDF lens on a KL1?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking about picking up one of those KL1s' in the HA black to go on my HA black E1e. I was hoping someone has put a the UCL-LDF lens over it with good results. Now the standard Surefire diffuser is way too much "diffusing" for my taste. I have a UCL-LDF on my modded 2D-->3xCR123/5D lamp maglite with great results. Diffuses "just enough" while still allowing a tight hotspot. I'm hoping it will smooth out the beam of the KL1 but still allowing the spot to be very tight. Anyone have experience with this?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what I've been waiting for from SF...a Lux3 light that uses a reflector and lens to provide usable sidespill for close/medium range while still retaining a good hotspot for good throw.
If you remove the optic, there's no reflector in there, so the Lux would just sit there throwing light around the inside of the non-reflective head. I think Chop modified some KL1 heads for some members to use a reflector and lens. I'd like him to make one for me, but I can't afford it.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I should clarify. I'm not talking about removing the stock lens or opening the unit up at all. My idea is to use the ol' rubber maglite head guard (which just so happens to fit the e-series heads) and drop the 24.7mm UCL-LDF in there and put that on the KL1 head. I'm just wondering what it would look like....

the lens's can be found at flashlightlens.com

BBL

Enlightened
the maglite lens-holder fits not very well on the KL1. It is far too long and doesnt hold well.

I would suggest you use a surefire beamfilter or beamshaper. The lens in those pops out easily and can be replaced by anything with 1" diameter.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a UCL-LDF lens on my Jils. It kills the throw a bit, but these aren't exactly throwers to begin with. They smooth out the beam really nicely.

I honestly don't know what the difference would be between using the F04 Beamshaper (stock) vs using a UCL-LDF lens.