luxeon 10 watts SUPER BRIGHT

ianb

Enlightened
At that price it is almost worth a try, with rcr123's and a charger! how can you lose at that price? I guess you could if its a piece of c**p, not quite cheap enough for me to try though, 10 w can you really make that? If you can I can't imagine runtime would be good or the LED will last long.
Ian

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno. With the shipping cost, you're paying $60 for the kit. The cells aren't worth that much, maybe five bucks each. The charger might be worth ten. That leaves you paying thirty for the light itself.

Those poor cells. Ten watts at 7.2 volts is about 1.4 amps, assuming you really get 10 watts (doubt it) and the driver is 100% efficient. Maybe there's no driver at all, and it's just direct drive. Anyway, 1.4 amps is a lot to pull from those little cells. As noted above, runtime must be on the short side, and overall cell life probably isn't great either.

Who wants to buy the first one and review it for us? :)

flashlightguy

Newly Enlightened
:thumbsdow notice how it says USA and it's shipping from hong kong? I'd say it's a rip off

greenLED

Flashaholic
It's a rip off, not because of the location (I've done several successful transactions with people in HK), but because 10W Lux's do not exist (or they are not commercially available, yet). Beware.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
It appears identical to the famous Golston 7W Super Bright Waterproof light. Just substitute a 7 for the 10. If it is the same make, it is NOT a piece of crap. The Golston is already a terrific light for the price, and can be had for $32.56 at Qualitychinagoods.com, or $49.46 for the light, charger, and 4 unprotected RCR123s. Dae also had a CPF Dealer's Forum deal on that package, but I can't find it. It is also a really good mod host. If you swap the counterfeit LED with a real Luxeon, NOBODY can call it a piece of crap. I don't know if it would be any brighter though. It's a really bright, really good throwing light.

I don't know if the "10W" is any brighter than the "7W", but the latter is the best value in a 2 X123 LED light that I'm aware of. It performs! You should read the several threads about this light.

Bernie

Windscale

Enlightened
I am based in Hong Kong from time to time. I can say for sure that 10 Watt LED flashlights do exist. As to how well they perform I would not know because I have not bought one yet. They are not very expensive. There are also 5W, 7W and 9W lights available. The reason I have not bought one of these is because for my purposes I would only go up to 3W in order to get a reasonable runtime. I can tell you some Chinese made 3 Watt lights are very good. I have compared them to various SF lights I also owned.

I think one ought to be pragmatic about flashlights. One must not condemn any flashlights before one has actually used them. If one has tried the light and it is not good then condemn it. We are glad that there are so many Americans with pragmatic and open minds capable of careful analyses rather than making wild statements without actual evidence. This is why it is a great nation. But the situation may change if too many of the nationals begin to condemn things which are not American made. The reverse is also applicable. One must not accept everything SF just because it was made by SF. Always test it first. I would not venture to may statements such as "it is impossible to make a 10W light powered by 2 x 123As" or the like. If the light was made by SF many would not have said the same thing. 10 years ago who would have dreamt that something called LED flashlights would be invented to replace many incands!

Please be pragmatic and open. Science is always working to bring us a brighter future!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Windscale, we are very open and pragmatic about lights here. Being open, however, doesn't mean we have to believe everything others say. Thus, we are also on the lookout for reliable specs from flashlight sellers, and we like to see valid specs. This has nothing to do with "things made in America pride", so let's drop the pseudo-political fluff right away.

To the point; here's an easy way to fudge the numbers and get 10W, for example:

8.4V*1.2A=10W
...that's 2 fully charged li-ion cells*current (off the battery, not really to the LED?)

Wait, look what happens under load:
7.2V*1.2A=8.6W ~9W

The electronics theory is correct, but that doesn't mean the LED emitter (Luxeon or otherwise) is actually a 7W, 9W, or 10W emitter, which is what some of these advertisements seem to imply... and that is my issue with these lights.

Allow me to reiterate: I do not have an issue with the location of the item. Nor I am quesioning the quality/build/reliability of the light. I'm just highly sceptical of the way they claim them to be 10W, and they way they phrase their advertisement to hype their lights.

Last edited:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've gotta stop calling them 1 watt, 3 watt, and 5 watt LED's. They're Luxeon, Luxeon III and Luxeon V. The wattage depends entirely on how they are driven.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
It's just a name. We all know it isn't powered at 10 watts under load. The name is irrelevant to the worthiness of a flashlight. I hate the name fenix. It's spelled wrong, but I like the lights. I do wish however that the makers of lights like the "7W", "9W" and "10W" would seek to establish a brand name, and bulid a reputation. The lights truly can stand on their own. I disapprove of the implied power in the name. It is misleading.

Bernie

greenLED

Flashaholic
Right, it's "just a name". But when that is used as marketing hype to make uninformed buyers believe they're getting awe-inspiring lights... that's just not right.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't object to the light itself, but I do object to it saying "USA" on the outside, implying that it is made in USA as a way to gain credibility.

I have personally driven a Lux V WWOS to 1.3 + amps using DD from a pair of RCR2s (for a very short time) on one of my protos, and it was clearly brighter, but not enough for me to feel it was worth using that setting. Stated more clearly, I did not feel it was safe to run the cells at that level with that much heat around.

If you are going to run those cells at that current level (around 3 - 4 C) it would be a good idea to consider them single use cells, or at most a very few cycles.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
FirstDsent said:
It's just a name. We all know it isn't powered at 10 watts under load. The name is irrelevant to the worthiness of a flashlight. I hate the name fenix. It's spelled wrong, but I like the lights. I do wish however that the makers of lights like the "7W", "9W" and "10W" would seek to establish a brand name, and bulid a reputation. The lights truly can stand on their own. I disapprove of the implied power in the name. It is misleading.

Bernie

You reminded me of an old joke in China. Someone walked in an audio shop to get a DVD player, a salesman recomended an "very reasonable priced" model to the customer. The customer got home with the good-looking new DVD player but found that none of his DVDs could be played in the player. He brought it back to the shop and complained. The salesman immediately put in VCD into the player and showed it to the customer, "See, it works well. It must be something wrong with your disc". The customer requested the salesman to try a DVD, the salesman said "no, it won't play DVD disc, it only supports audio CD and VCD". The customer was getting very pissed and said "I told you I need an DVD player in the first place". The salesman repsonded "Yes, this is DVD player - "DVD" branded CD/VCD player, didn't you see its name" and pointing to the big shiny good "DVD" name plate on the machine. The salesman continued, "We are very honest and never cheated our customers. We garantee that this machine is a genuine "DVD" branded player".

Alan

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a Newark in one catalog today that lists what they call 10 watt LEDNIUM LED's from TT electronics using OPTEK technology. They are $73 to $92 each rated to 1.05 Amp at these volts: amber (6.4V), blue (9.1V), green(9.9V), red (6.1V), and white (9.1V). Of course, white is the most expensive: $92.27. Part numbers OVTL09LGAA, OVTL09LGAB, OVTL09LGAG, OVTL09LGAR, OVTL09LGAW if you want to search for them, or hit the link on the White LED part number.
They claim 120 degree viewing angle, low thermal resistance, and up to 330 Lumens. The CAD-type picture shows no dome over the emitter, but claims optional optics to suit your application.

Specs seem to match (roughly) but price does not.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on guys, be nice to our Asian friends. From what Ive read the light in question is cheap, bright and comes direct from China. What wrong with a cheap light? Then you got the language barrier. Maybe the W on the label is the rough translation from Chineese to English and it means something entirely different, where we are assuming watts, what or womble?