3watt Luxeon Flashlight as Outdoor Soffit Light?

spas

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post my question?

I want to add outdoor soffit lighting to my house. Typically this is done with standard pot light or recessed light fixtures with PAR20 bulbs. There are two company's out there that make Luxeon 1watt and 3watt LED lights for this purpose. (Delphi Tech and GVA Lighting). I got a quote for them and they want approximately $260 a fixture. I had the local vendor come by for a demo and estimate - these are basically LED flashlights with the correct optics (i.e. lenes) to throw the light.

I was considering building my own with a Luxeon based flash light. As an experiment I bought a $20 1 Watt Luxeon based Head Lamp, went up the my ladder and installed it on the soffit - it was amazing - the effect was pretty much the same as the $260 Delphi Tech fixture. I just need to "aim" the beam - the headlamp had a very narrow spot beam pattern.

I am thinking of using the 3watt Luxeon Nuwai TM115X flashlight for this - since this flashlight does have the ability to aim the beam. I would want to add 5 "light" to my house to get the proper lighting and effect.

I was thinking of using a standard Garden Light power supply - DC12v approx. 80watts to power all of the flashlights.

Can a 3 watt Luxeon Nuwai TM115X flashlight operate off DC 12v - or will it burn out the regulator circuit?

In terms of performance, could a Luxeon based flashlight operate for 8 hours a night everyday of the year (i.e. any heat issues?)

Any guidance would greatly be [font=&quot]appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Steve
[/font]