Konica Minolta claims OLED breakthrough ...

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
2_r.jpg

"Konica Minolta has developed an OLED (organic light-emitting diode) device with a brightness of 1,000 cd/m2 and an expected lifetime of about 10,000 hours.

Running at 64 lumens/W, the device can be used as a backlight for handset displays. The company claims that it offers the world's most efficient electric light source and is suitable for use in general lighting applications.

In addition, the device can emit light of varying color tones to mimic the output of a tungsten electric bulb or fluorescent light."
http://www.digitimes.com/displays/a20060703PR201.html

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's nice to see that Konica Minolta are doing something useful after giving up on making cameras. There are more efficient LEDs out there though. Cree and Nichia make LED's that surpass 64lm/W

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
KM doesn't make cameras anymore? What do they do? That's always the high-point I've heard of them under..

Drew

Newly Enlightened
Konica Minolta Photo Imaging, Inc. ceased the camera business on March 31, 2006.

As of April 1st, 2006, Sony Corporation is providing customer service for Konica's, Minolta's, and Konica Minolta's cameras (excluding Film-In cameras) and camera-related products except for the binoculars.
For information about customer service, please click "Contact & Repairs".

For support information, please click"Support".

Konica Minolta Photo Imaging, Inc. would like to express our heartfelt appreciation to fans of Konica Minolta around the world for their support for more than a century.

:rant:

I have always been a Minolta fan and I followed them right into the digital revolution with a Minolta Z10 it is a great digi-cam especialy for the money. I guess I will have to seek out a new brand when I upgrade.

InfidelCastro

Banned
WAVE_PARTICLE said:
Wow! Seriously? Why aren't we all using these for our lights? 200 lumens at 3 watts? :drool:

:thumbsup: WP

Unfortunately, as the wattage goes up, the efficiency of LEDs goes down.

They get these lumen per watt specs at very low wattage levels generally. I don't even know if there's an industry standard wattage level for the lumens per watt numbers different manufacturers come up with. Maybe somebody can weigh in on that.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
Unfortunately, as the wattage goes up, the efficiency of LEDs goes down.

They get these lumen per watt specs at very low wattage levels generally. I don't even know if there's an industry standard wattage level for the lumens per watt numbers different manufacturers come up with. Maybe somebody can weigh in on that.

too bad.... so I guess KM's states may hold some water as being the most efficient in "real world" use.....

copiertech

Newly Enlightened
Konica Minolta are doing mostly office equipment now, copiers, printers, MFP`s. Theyre doing very well over here.

Xzn

Newly Enlightened
monkeyboy said:
It's nice to see that Konica Minolta are doing something useful after giving up on making cameras. There are more efficient LEDs out there though. Cree and Nichia make LED's that surpass 64lm/W
fiasfas It's not an LED! It's an OLED display. It's designed to compete head to head with LCD displays. Like how LCD competes with Plasma. It's a panel that has pixels that produces images, not something that you stick in a reflector.

Xzn

Newly Enlightened
Now tell me if a whatever efficient cree led can show me a movie like this (Samsung 40" OLED display):
20_1612_0.jpg

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure it is the worlds most efficient OLED backlight but the exact quote is:

"The company claims that it offers the world's most efficient electric light source"

This is just plain wrong. Fluorescent lighting and HID have been capable of better efficiency than this for many years.