Can Lux-III, LED's run on 1-rechargeable 3.7v batt.?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:)
.... or do most of them require a step-up boost circuit.

If One (3.7v to 4.2v) Lit-Ion batt. will work , will the Lux-III LED burn at full brightness ?

How long will it burn at usefull brightness ?

:grin2:

Last edited:

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
Re: Can 3W LED's run on 1-rechargeable 3.7v batt.?

yes.

you can direct drive a LUX III w/ 1xRCR123 (for 3.7V~4.2V example).

The runtime/brightness will depend on the Vf and the mAh capacity of the battery

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

... What voltage will imediately burn-out an average 3W LED ?

At what point is a limiting resistor required ? or something else ?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

...Randy....or others ,

If the 3W emitter is a UWAJ or UWOK bin code in a single cell 123 light, would it run the emitter at normal/accepted brightness or would it overdrive the LED to be much brighter ?

I'm not clear on exactly what makes some Single CR123 cell lights so extremely bright - even as bright or brighter than an equivelent 2-cell light .

To do that - does it have to be Direct-Drive on the LED ?

Randy Shackleford said:
yes.

you can direct drive a LUX III w/ 1xRCR123 (for 3.7V~4.2V example).

The runtime/brightness will depend on the Vf and the mAh capacity of the battery

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

The brightness just depends on the amount of current going through the LED. It doesn't matter how many cells that current comes from. A Lux driven at 1000mA (1A) will be brighter than when driven at 500mA, regardless of how many cells. So, a 1x 123A light driving a Lux3 at 1A vs. a 2x 123A light driving the same Lux3 at 500mA will be brighter. Keep in mind tho that brighter equates to shorter runtimes. A 1x 123A light that has the same output as a 2x 123A light will have shorter runtime. Most 1x 123A lights use a boost converter of some sort to drive it. It's up to the mfr to decide how much current they want from that driver/converter. In a Li-Ion DD setup, how much current depends on the VF of the LED. The lower the rated VF, the more current the LED will draw.

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened

ALSO-->>The reflector can make a BIG difference in perceived brightness.

Most single cell CR123 have a boost board for primary 123's.
e.g. Dorcy 123 on primary puts out a steady 350mAh ( LUX I spec). Lower Vf would probably equal better runtime. Drop a RCR123 in it and the mAh jumps to 500~600, then drops over time; so does the brightness follow the same course. The regulator is not made to steady a RCR123's 4.2V off the charger.

a J binned Vf will run fine in DD with a RCR123. A little hot at first off the charger. Just ran a quick 1 second test with the T-binned J Vf star I am selling below and the fresh RCR reading 4.18V. The mAh in the circuit peaked at ~1400 ; but that will drop because the direct drive load on the RCR battery.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

:):drool:

.... This is the reason that I asked .........

I have ordered this 1-Watt (single cell) Bushnell light from "gormangiftgallery" , and when it soon arrives - I hope to change out the emitter and star to a LuxIII Star I ordered from 4Sevens (UWAJ) bin code.

I'm not expecting this (stock) 1 Watt light to be bright enough to suit me . I liked the size and functionality of it , but I'm gonna wanna make it as bright as it can be .

So depending on just how bright it is when I get it - will determine whether I try the LuxIII star in it .

What would you expect it to need to be ULTRA-BRIGHT on the high setting ??

:grin2::candle:

savumaki

Enlightened

I made my Q3 a DD and run it with RCR123 and I think it's great (forget the bin) the beam has a very slight greenish tint which I find easy on the eye.

Karl

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

What TEST can you do on any given light - to see if it is indeed *Direct-Drive*, without having to physically remove the drive circuit and DEEP internal parts ?

:scowl:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:grin2:

Would this mod that I am planning ...........

possibly require the use of a FluPic ...... or something of that type ?

Rather than Direct Drive with minimal run time ?

Is a Lux-1 or Lux-3 .... the brightest it can possibly be when being driven by Direct Drive ?

??