Inova microlight

yellow1

Newly Enlightened
<:rant:>
i bought it a year ago at Target, and attached it to one of the zippers on my backpack, so it would be ready for action at a moment's notice... and since then, it served it purpose well.

so i went backpacking last weekend, and needed to pull out my headlamp that was lost somewhere in one of the compartments. no problem, i thought. i've got a light attached to one of the zippers...

did you notice i said "used to"? the silly plastic piece that functions as the switch and battery cover fell off somewhere on the trail, and all i had left was the main body, and the LED. arrrrgh!! :banghead:
</:rant:>

so i was just curious... has anyone else had this problem with the inova microlight? have you contacted Inova, and given them feedback? because the person i contacted never heard of my problem occuring before... :anyone: :anyone:

DaveG

Enlightened
I have a few of the old single function,and one newer multi-function.Have not had trouble with the rubber cover with any of mine.But the newer multi-function one seems to get switched on very easy.Have it on a back pack and its on when it should be off.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Bought one a few months ago for some reason. Most people have them and they get switched on and die. Same thing here. Terrible excuse for a light IMO.

Plus, the red one that I had was waaay dimmer than my old Photon II.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I put one on my wife's keychain and after a week the plastic battery cover was lost... I was also planning on contacting Inova for a replacement cover.

Jasmes

Enlightened
The only problem I've had with mine is the little metal clip not having enough tension to stay put. I just wrap a little bit of scotch tape around it, and it stays on fine.

yellow1

Newly Enlightened
it sounds like i won't be replacing it with another inova microlight. i guess lucky for us, these keychain lights can be had for a buck each at CPF friendly stores :)

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I sent them a note asking how I could get a replacement battery cover and got the following response about an hour later.

Dear Sir:

We would be pleased to send you a replacement battery cover for your Microlight. Simply provide us with an address, advise whether the body is black or translucent in color, and the color of the LED and we will mail one to you free of charge.

Please don't hesitate to contact me should you need further assistance.

Thank you for your inquiry!

Best Regards,

--
Customer Service
401.294.2030 X.204
[email protected]

Emissive Energy Corp.
135 Circuit Drive
North Kingstown, RI 02852
www.inovalight.com

Illum

Flashaholic
yellow1 said:
it sounds like i won't be replacing it with another inova microlight. i guess lucky for us, these keychain lights can be had for a buck each at CPF friendly stores :)

Buy a light @ lighthound, you'll get a keychain light...free

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova Microlight has a nice feel to it, but the design is poor. After a month or two of keychain duty the squeeze switch became very soft and often unresponsive like a very, very worn out computer keyboard. Light would seemingly turn on by itself at times as well. My first and second generation Photons still function perfectly fine.

closeupinovavn0.jpg

Purchased less than a year ago, this is the three-mode (high, low, strobe) Inova.

I just replaced the batteries yesterday because it started to dim, but I think I'll take them back out as backup for my Garrity instead. Doesn't light anything up in comparison.

Inova Microlight 2x2016 -> CMG Infinity 1 AA (5-7 years old?) -> Garrity 2x2016

allthreeshotsek2.jpg

big3xi6.jpg

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never really cared for coin cell lights, but I got 4 of the red Microlights when Target was clearing them out for $1.50 each. One of them had a completely dead battery and one had an obviously low battery. I know people don't like the idea of the auto off 'feature' in the Nite Ize IQ switch, but I think such a feature would be a welcome addition on the coin cell lights... maybe even a 1 minute auto off.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can literally turn one on with the static electricity from rubbing it on your noggin. The switch also actuates too easily for pocket carry, and it will constantly turn itself on without your consent and run the battery down.

Not a great light, IMO.

But at least it isn't spendy.

cheers

SuperTorch

Enlightened
I want to put in my very positive experience with this light. I felt since I like it so much(for now) that I should post here where others who have not had the best experience could be seen also, so we really put it to the CPF test and keep balanced observations.

I always thought this light looked just gimmicky and would be put away fast, but I must say, I Like It.

For one it surprised me how invisible it seems on my keyring. Visually, but more important physically. I'm the type who doesn't want too much on keyring because of the bulk it creates. For having a light on me all the time it feels very well sized regarless of how it looks. Where this comes from is the HQ stainless steel neck that the light is attached to. It's made so it can freely fold as needed. Also the method of clipping on and off your keyring is perfect in how simple it is(and a major upgrade(imo) from the norm of a eyelet or another ring). NO more rotating around your main keyring to get the light off like a key, this one has the stainless steel long ring that with thumb pressure opens WIDE up .25 inches to be clipped off in .5 of a second 99% of the time. Right On, Right Off, Right On, Right Off very very consistently and easy. Thats big to me, If I want it off - .05 seconds later It is and back on .05 - CLIP - that simple(you wouldn't notice this fact right off by looking at it in it's packaging untill you tear it out and it's on your keyring in 1 second with the utmost ease and you go .....hhhmmm :) +1 ). The Stainless steel ring is Extremly durable in that when it's on the keyring it's on. The long flat ring is nicley thick and won't bend. The light seems nicely powered for runtime 15 hours and cost, the dimming mode is pulse modulation which is OK. The STROBE function rock's pretty hard and if you told someone to be looking for it to locate you even in the city it'd do it's job. I got mine for $6 at a local sporting good store - Academy Sports on 63rd and Portland in OKC. I go in there once every month and next time I'm grabbing a few more to put on all my key-rings. I like things that exceed my expectations and this light has in a big way. Now if it goes to crap before I get 2 years on it I may get a bit tee'd. But the form is the best I've seen for what I want out of a keyring light. 1. I don't want to know it's there till I need it, 2. I can get it off my keyring at light speed. It's bright and multi-functional and I like each mode well. So if in the end it's not rugged then I'll just learn that and wish they made the exact same light in total stainless steal and charged $9.95 for it because behaviorally on my keyring it's a 10 out of 10. Who here likes this light or can step up and say it's been very very reliable for them.

Also this version with 3 modes is considered version 2 so maybe they made some other positive changes regarding tuffness if needed.

http://www.inovalight.com/micro.html

Last edited:

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I share in some of the bad experiences with Inova Microlights: Clip coming loose from jacket zipper pull, turning on from static electricity, and worse not being able to turn the light off because of the switch bouncing back on when released.
I fixed that last one by opening the light and replacing the extremely thin adhesive tape over the switch contact with regular transparent tape.
I've never had problems with the Microlights being dim or coming apart unintentionally, but I do carry DX Fauxtons or Lighthound freebies now on my jackets instead of the Microlights.
I know a lot of people have stated strong disapproval for the Photon X-Light, but I've had no problems with mine and carry one on my manly man-purse.
I also like the discontinued but still available Digilite Personal Illuminator System and have one of those on my weekend luggage.

Xak

Enlightened
You can literally turn one on with the static electricity from rubbing it on your noggin. The switch also actuates too easily for pocket carry, and it will constantly turn itself on without your consent and run the battery down.

Not a great light, IMO.

But at least it isn't spendy.

cheers

Couldn't find one of the old ones w/o the stupid modes, was told by Inova when I heard of the rumors that they turn on by themselves and was assured they were updated. So I bought a few and they turn on by static electricity. Lame.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have several. They get used regularly. Never a problem. I far prefer the older single speed style without the translucent housing.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
It comes on in it's highest mode so it's like a single to me but with two extra functions. Lasting durability is all I'm concerned with so I guess I'll see but I like it a whole lot for the reasons I stated above, being able to remove it so fast leads to me using it more than one thats on your ring permanently, it helps when you need to reach tight places and don't want your keys fitting/falling down in there.

dervishMe

Newly Enlightened
I have a few of these. Most or all of them are in the drawer with dead batteries. One of the worst designs for modern day flaslight ....

It was designed to be put in key chain but it's just too "trigger happy" and to fragile to be useful.

I just played with my wife keychain and found that the battery was completely dead and she told me she never actually used it.

I'll throw them all out tomorrow!

dervishMe

Newly Enlightened
Sorry Birigo,

Thay are all new style. The one with that multi-level micro switch. This type of switch is very sensitive. The light keeps turn on by itself in your poccket and drain the batteries.

boonsht

Newly Enlightened
I have to agree. Bought my wife and myself one each at $6 a piece a couple of years ago to put on our keychains About a month later both are dead.

Really a poor design in the switch. It's too easy for it to turn on and drain the batteries. Sometimes just grabbing my keys from jacket pocket, I'd find the light on. Wife complained of the same thing from keeping her keys in her purse.

I could've bought a 10 pack with that money ( I do now). So much better imho.