Will Dorcy 4AA light work with a Maglite xenon PR-base bulb?

el_vato

Newly Enlightened
noob question.. what'll that do ?? I know over drive the bulb.. I mean how long will the bulb last? will it melt the light? thanks!:)

fire-stick

Enlightened
el_vato said:
noob question.. what'll that do ?? I know over drive the bulb.. I mean how long will the bulb last? will it melt the light? thanks!:)

I mean how long will the bulb last?
It won't instantly destroy it but the life span of the bulb will be reduced slightly.

will it melt the light?
No it won't melt the light. I overdrove a 2D bulb with 3C's (33% overvoltage is not recommended) The light didn't get hot but the 2D light was just as bright as the 3D maglite I have, and the beam looked to be a WHOLE lote whiter.

thunderlight

Enlightened
Hi Fire-Stick,

The Xenon Magnum Star 4 Cell will work fine without causing any problems. A 3 cell will work, but it might burn out earlier. As has been stated, 3 cell Mag Krypton [White Star] may do better than the 3 cell Xenon in terms of runtime.

I have used the 4 cell xenon in the dollar store version, the Dorcy boss version, and the Craftsman plastic and rubber version. Works fine in all of these. If you have one with a faceted reflector, the 3 cell bulb would probably be overkill. The faceted versions work very well.

fire-stick

Enlightened
I seen one at the dollar store that had a smooth reflector. What difference is the faceted reflector compared to the smooth?

Why do you say the krypton would be overkill?

Last edited:

thunderlight

Enlightened
Hi Fire-Stick,

The faceted reflector produces an excellent beam, so you probably don't need the extra brightness vs. the 4 cell at the expense of shortened time to burn-out of the bulb.

The smooth reflectors are not as good and it might make sense to go for the brighter bulb in this case.

There have been numerous posts indicating that the Krypton bulbs are less sensitive to overdriving than Xenon bulbs. So overdriving with a 3 cell Krypton may be better choice than overdriving with a 3 cell Xenon. Here, I'm just echoing general advice as posted in this forum.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Just slightly off topic:

I have a Garrity 4AA "stainless" which is a pretty nice light given the price, etc ...

Would replacing the Krypton bulb (KPR113) with a Xenon equivalent be a significant upgrade?

(Yes, it has a facted reflector)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Bror, I put a M*g Xenon 4 cell into what was already a pretty nice light (Tec40) and it improved the beam shape and brightness.

A 3 cell Krypton is brighter yet, but not QUITE as nice of beam.

I'd say go for a 4 cell Xenon!!!