Flashlights on Airplanes Now? Post 8-10-06

frisco

Enlightened
I've watched allot of news coverage today and never heard "flashlight" when they talk about what you can't take on a commercial flight????
I'm just gonna (be an adult) assume that flashlights are a "no go" now !!!!

Seems to me that a flashlight can be viewed as a "ignition device" just like a disposable camera w/flash. Also a flashlight can be considered an "electronic device" like a computer, cell phone or iPod.

I think our days of flying with a travel light is done for now.....

frisco

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, like I said in another thread, it sucks being targeted for mass murder by organized life hating crazies.

At least you can get them out of your checked luggage (take cheapies only) at your arrival, and maybe your chances of arriving are improved just a little...

Last edited:

carpdiem

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know for sure whether or not flashlights have been disallowed on flights within the US? Last I heard it was only liquids/gels thatyou couldn't carry on, and flashlights/cellphones/laptops were still fine.

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
I would wait a few days for the fallout before getting in line with your M6 surefire and then being made to drop it in the "voluntarily surrender" pile.

Unless you are flying tomorrow or later today, I would operate on the assumption that it will be banned, UNTIL you can get the TSA to declare otherwise.

flashgreenie

Enlightened
flashlights are not ban before by TSA. I rememeber this point from other threads months ago. But with this recent incident in UK, I think they putting a blanket ban on hand carry luagage except for essential things(which does not cover laptops, cameras or multimillion diamonds,eyewear case). I would assume this ban to apply to flights from the US as well... Whatever bush does, blair follows and vice versa...

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
See the link in post #3.
Flashlights are NOT on the permitted list.

Passengers may take through the airport security search point, in a single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag, only the following items. Nothing may be carried in pockets:

** Pocket-size wallets and pocket-size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (not handbags)

** Travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets)

** Prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg, diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic

** Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases

** Contact lens holders, without bottles of solution

** For those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags)

** Female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes)

** Tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs

** Keys (but no electrical key fobs). All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be X-ray screened.

Pushchairs and walking aids must be X-ray screened, and only airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the news they had a special on banned items. At no time did they mention electronics in the states. It was just liquids, creams, etc... They had some fruit loop on who just got a kick out of his toothpaste being taken.

I think from good ole' beantown us CPF'ers 'could' be ok but i'm nto going to risk a serious light on it.

For me, until the smoke clears I'll be taking cheap AAA china ebay light

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the UK end I believe these measures are only for the time being.

Heard some aviation security expert saying that once some sort of equipment is in place to detect dodgy liquids that it will be business as usual...so you'll still have to leave all your other hijacking kit (nail clippers and knitting needles) at home.
ohgeez.gif

Flashlights should be ok again when this calms down.

CFU

jhung

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about international flights but I flew from Maryland to Florida yesterday and carried on a Fenix P1 and a CR2 Ion. No problems at security. Just don't carry on any liquids or gels.

greenLED

Flashaholic
LEDninja said:
See the link in post #3.
Flashlights are NOT on the permitted list.
A flashlight is such an unlikely item outside our CPF walls that it's not bound to show up in these lists.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I certainly wouldn't travel with any high-end lights for awhile. You'll be subject to the whims and interpretation of the TSA checker. I can just hear "If it has batteries, it's an electronic device".

If you must carry on, a minimag would probably be the safest things. Everyone recognizes them. Of course, there's lots of $100 MM's out there in CPF land.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
While speculation and FUD are popular in web discussions, do remember that business customers are the life-blood of almost all passenger airlines. With that in mind, and considering the impact that a prohibition against electronic items could have on the business traveller, I'd suspect that there will be an expedited means of more selective detection available very soon. If they weren't willing to sacrifice some degree of safety in the interest of the business traveller's dollar, they probably wouldn't allow anything with a LIon battery on the plane and the potential that it may 'explode'.

Besides, even the most dumbfounded person on a flight could probably find something that is already in the pax cabin that could be used as an ignition source. Surely flashaholics already know that there are emergency flashlights on board?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I'm sure that any TSA agent knows what a Surefire light is, and how a flashlight works. At the most, they would make you throw out the batteries. A light w/o batts might as well be a paper weight right?

You could try to plead your case: Flashlights were not on the list, it has no batteries, so how can it be electronic?

**PSM must bite lip on this topic BTW**