Basic Question: SureFire Battery Carrier

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Hi All,

Here is a question which I admit is very basic in nature.

I just bought and received two of the SureFire SC3 Spare Carrier.

My question sounds basic, but has been more than difficult for me for the last 15 minutes or so.

On the Lanyard itself there is a Split Ring. That Split Ring should attach itself to the Clip, which in turn would attach itself to the actual Carrier.

However, for the life of me I simply cannot get that Split Ring to slide on.

So, whereas I admit this is a basic question, might anyone have any tricks of the trade on how I can make this process more simple?

Thanks,
John

Size15's

Flashaholic
Hi John

It has been my experience that it is the second most difficult thing to do in the whole universe (I've checked).

I just used a larger split ring...

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
get an old crappy knife and break the seal(they spray them with somthing) then try and slide the thing on there it is a lot easyer if you have two people one to pry the thing open the other to slide the piece on (i have a great vocabulary dont i)i admit it is very hard.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a tool called a split ring plier. Basically a needle nose plier with a pointed tooth on one jaw to pry and hold open the split ring. In my experience these can make it a little easier, but not much. Used by fisherman and sold where their supplies are sold.

My normal course of action is to use a very small screwdriver blade to pry open and hold apart the ring. You will run this blade into your thumb and fingers several times during the process. This is normal and the wounds are small punctures and generally do not bleed very much. No pain, no gain.

However in this case, I don't think you need to open the split ring. Unless they have changed things recently, can't you just open the snap hook, loop the ring over the hook and pull it up to the top of the hook?

Mark

SunStar

Enlightened
Sixpointone said:
On the Lanyard itself there is a Split Ring. That Split Ring should attach itself to the Clip, which in turn would attach itself to the actual Carrier.

However, for the life of me I simply cannot get that Split Ring to slide on.

So, whereas I admit this is a basic question, might anyone have any tricks of the trade on how I can make this process more simple?
John, I have used an envelope opener with success. Slide the opener in edge wise and then turn it to spread the coil, then slide the clasp or accessory onto the ring. As an aside, from my personal experience, I have found SF's recent crab claw clasps to be somewhat unrelieable - magically releasing the light while in carry to meet tile or pavement. After that happening twice on two different lights, I now attach the split ring directly to the light lanyard ring and / or the spares carrier. No mishaps since doing that.

Good luck.. and don't poke your eye out:grin2:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remove the split ring and clip altogether. To do so pry open the break away tab that joins the 2 lanyard ends and remove the split ring assembly. Insert the lanyard ends in the inner channel (it will become apparent when you examine the tab) and close with needle nose pliers. Why use a split ring? It just adds a faliure point. Just loop the lanyard in on itself.

If the lanyard/parachord gets ragged, simply melt the ends smooth over an open flame.

kelmo

greenLED

Flashaholic
I don't use the split ring. I simply clip the lobster clip onto the spares carrier.

As far as putting a split ring on things, I use the small screwdriver tip on my Leatherman Micra to pry apart the sides and slowly slide the ring where I want it. Depending on where the clip goes, sometimes doing this will push the rings apart a bit.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's said:
Hi John

It has been my experience that it is the second most difficult thing to do in the whole universe (I've checked).

I just used a larger split ring...

Hi Al,

Could you enlighten us some more? I'm curious as to what the most difficult thing to do in the universe is.:)

Size15's

Flashaholic
Billson said:
Hi Al,

Could you enlighten us some more? I'm curious as to what the most difficult thing to do in the universe is.:)

It is ineffable

(and further discussion on this topic should perhaps have it's own thread in the Cafe)

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Thanks all for your feedback and advice. It was a great help!

After waging what seemed like a battle, with the help of the Tag Team partner the Screwdriver, I was able to get the Split Ring set up on the Clip, and then onto each of the Carriers themselves.

Much appreciated,
John

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
you shoulda asked me at work today.. I had it there and everything!!!

Now why would a guy have 4 spare cells in an office building? Ohh ya, I had the U2, Nightcom, Big Q-3 and Arc-P (P.s. Martha had 2 lights on her) lol

:)

I'm glad it worked for ya John!

Sixpointone said:
Thanks all for your feedback and advice. It was a great help!

After waging what seemed like a battle, with the help of the Tag Team partner the Screwdriver, I was able to get the Split Ring set up on the Clip, and then onto each of the Carriers themselves.

Much appreciated,
John

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Billson said:
Hi Al,

get a politician to tell the truth and move his/her lips at the same time.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand why there is a lanyard on SF's spares carriers. Do most folks walk around with these attached to their wrists? Mine go in my pack, the lanyards just become spares.

Size15's

Flashaholic
leukos said:
I don't understand why there is a lanyard on SF's spares carriers. Do most folks walk around with these attached to their wrists? Mine go in my pack, the lanyards just become spares.

Perhaps it's a good way to add value? I use the lanyards for other things.
Also, sometimes a lanyard can be useful for locating and extracting it for a bag...

Al

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
leukos said:
Exactly the point I was going to make, but it's handy to get a free lanyard with each spares carrier.

Incidentally, I never use the spring clip to attach a lanyard to a wire lanyard ring, they tend to rotate, then come unhooked when you pull tight. I loop the lanyard itself through the wire ring on SF lights. Only exception is the plastic 2 part rings on L1, aviator etc, I use the spring clip directly into the hole on these with no problem.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I use SAK Tweezers to deal with the slit rings.

I jam a nickel when I get the small split ring a little open to open it up, then slide it on and hope ofr the best.

I learned to wear goggles while putting split rings on the SCx spare carriers.