Kel Lite that uses 1/2D cells

DrMaserati

Newly Enlightened
I have a very nice old Kel Lite that uses two 1/2D cells, so it has a 3v lamp. Since 1/2D alkaline cells seem to be unobtainium these days, I would like to run it with a single D cell, but that means finding a 1.5v lamp. I have been unable to find one. Does anyone know where I could find a 1.5v lamp for this flashlight?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with ABTOMAT's suggestion and use a 3AA-1D adapter with a 3 cell bulb as the simplist means of getting it going. Additionally, given it's odd configuration, it is probably best to not modify it in the event that it has some collector value.

DrMaserati

Newly Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
I'd go with ABTOMAT's suggestion and use a 3AA-1D adapter with a 3 cell bulb as the simplist means of getting it going. Additionally, given it's odd configuration, it is probably best to not modify it in the event that it has some collector value.
Thank you. Thats a great idea, and I had no idea such an adapter was available. Where do I get one, and is it the same size as a single D? I have no intention of modifying the light, although I didn't really consider replacing the lamp to be modifying it. I have never seen another one like it, and it is in excellent condition. I just want to be able to use it occasionally.

Lightwave

Newly Enlightened
Modamag makes a 4AA to 1D battery holder. Try that instead of the 3AA holder for a bit more light. I have one in a Mag 1D, loaded with lithium AAs, powering a krypton Mag 4 cell bulb - makes a very nice light. Or you could overvoltage a 3 cell bulb for even more light.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get the adapters here. I don't see where changing the bulb would be an irreversable modification either. The kinds of modifications that I was thinking of that might be deleterious to the value of the light was things like boring it out to accommodate a larger diameter adapter or other irreversable modifications. The adapters from Litemania are actually a little smaller in diameter than a D battery, though they seem to work well, and since products like Kel Lites, Streamlights, Mags, have pretty strong springs, the adapter should stay in place and not rattle around in the body.

DrMaserati said:
Thank you. Thats a great idea, and I had no idea such an adapter was available. Where do I get one, and is it the same size as a single D? I have no intention of modifying the light, although I didn't really consider replacing the lamp to be modifying it. I have never seen another one like it, and it is in excellent condition. I just want to be able to use it occasionally.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only problem might be with the switch. The ancient sliding contact used in the Kel-Lite has a habit of hanging up on batteries. An adapter with more external projections might be a problem. One way to find out.

Latest posts