Merlin flashlight: A friend of mine was involved in this

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, looks to me, that there is (still) quite a difference in the makes that get prices for whatever reason (design here),
and the ones to get used.

--> good looking, maybe good ideas involved, but what a useless waste of volumina

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
looks very nice, I imagine the design is to make it as easy as possible to grip whilst wearing heavy firefighters gloves, safety equipment, etc....

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking the reason for the split-tube design was probably to make the induction charger that they mention more effective. I don't see a picture of the charger, but I imagine that it fits between the two tubes.

EDIT: I think the second picture on the link shows the charger--it appears that it does fit into the center.

Last edited:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
twentysixtwo said:
looks very nice, I imagine the design is to make it as easy as possible to grip whilst wearing heavy firefighters gloves, safety equipment, etc....

Yes, damn it. I've been thinking about a twintube set up for a number of reasons but putting space between them solves the holding problem with the gloves.
Even a twin tube C size is a bit awkward.

Six(?) D cell nimh. induction charging, and water resistant to start, wow.
Put a dimmer and four X bins in it... and I'm going to look for a drooling smilie.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brochure can be seen here. Most impressive is the optional battery pack, 22Ah Li-Ion. I wonder if it can be used on Maxa Beam? The battery pack has Amphenol connector. Isn't that the same as used by Maxa Beam?? Is there different types of Amphenol connectors?

Sigbjoern

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Btw, Zeiss2OEM told me they were working on a HID model, but it would take time because it should have explosive protection.

Sigbjoern

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
New one for me, although not a new light. It received a design award in 1998. Looks very interesting. A handful at almost 6 pounds.

They have a website: Merlin , but it is only available in Norwegian at this time.

We'll have to rely on bebe and Lurveleven in this thread to see what is there.

Mark

Makarov

Enlightened
The light is made around the bulb from a plane landinglight. Unfortunaly Merlin's homepage isn't translated into english.

The Norwegian army has bought these, and I've been promised by a friend that he'll take one with him when he's on leave. Hopefully I'll be able to do some beamshots. :D

Hey, Flash beat me to it...

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Lurveleven said:
Isn't that the same as used by Maxa Beam?? Is there different types of Amphenol connectors?

Sigbjoern

The connectors on my MaxaBeam were made by Amp which is a different company from Amphenol.

Larry

bebe

Newly Enlightened
The website is about the company that designed the light, and it seems that they also distribute other brands for defense and offshore industry.

I will contact them so they can translate - it's on time ;-) the site was launched in 2004

Flash_Gordon said:
New one for me, although not a new light. It received a design award in 1998. Looks very interesting. A handful at almost 6 pounds.

They have a website: Merlin , but it is only available in Norwegian at this time.

We'll have to rely on bebe and Lurveleven in this thread to see what is there.

Mark