Fenix P1: Disappointing new design change

brightnorm

Flashaholic
My fourth P1 arrived yesterday; this one is in HA NAT and it's a beauty. I inserted a BS 123 and turned it on...at least I tried to but I couldn't get a grip on the bezel, which was relatively slippery compared to my three other P1s. Unless mine was a fluke it appears that Fenix has altered the knurling and the previously excellent design has been changed to one that is poorly defined and much less "grippy". I had to trim the o-ring and apply plenty of lube to make this P1 useable with one hand.

The question is - why would Fenix make such a negative change in a functionally excellent design? There is no aesthetic improvement and the old knurling was grippy without being abrasive to clothing.

I was going to buy more P1's as gifts but now I will probably look at other lights.

Brightnorm

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fenix P1: Disappointing new design

Lack of worthwhile knurling on twist-switch lights is one of my beefs too. My Arc LSL, for example has only cosmetic "knurling" which is OK for the Kroll but not for the shorter twisty I sometimes use. I like Inova's styling and have an X1 & X5T but the slippery finish with minimal grip on the switch reduces the usefulness of those lights. Likewise the Fenix LOP should have more grip and Arc's AAA is borderline, too.

People with moist, soft, skin that provides good traction may not like aggressive finishes but my dry, calused, clumsy digits desire deep divots to get a grip. That's my gripe and I'm sticking with it...if I can get enough grip to hold on ;)

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh-oh! Ask 4sevens; he'll know. If it turns out that your light is somehow defective, his customer service is second to none!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
However difficult it is to turn, it can't possibly be quite as bad as the Argo HP's battery compartment cap! :laughing:

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I know, I have used thin skateboard tape on other lights, but by trimming the P1's o-ring (thus making it more prone to failure) and liberally lubing it is at least acceptable. My issue is with the negative design change and my question remains: why? I will contact 4sevens to get his input.

BN

Last edited:

jts

Newly Enlightened
If this is a running change, that sucks. My P1 is great but not what I'd call glass smooth to turn, even after use and lubing, so I'd hate to lose the knurling. One hand is not hard as it is, but it could be if there was no purchase on the upper body.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I just received my second P1 today in black and it appears identical to the first I got about 6 weeks ago. Same knurling that's just about perfect.
The new one did have the new foam ring, so I left that in place. That does create significantly greater resistance to turning the head.
The first P1 had the old ring and I had to remove it to make the light functional. I used a few wraps of masking tape around the battery to reduce the rattle and have used the light without a foam ring ever since. I think not having the extra force of the foam ring that pushes on the battery, which pushes on the head, which creates friction on the threads, makes my first one super smooth.
I also received a new foam ring in the pack, so now I'm debating about installing it since my system seems to work well enough.