Ow Ow Ow [Plink Plink]

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
So just 15 minuites ago; I went to replace the ballast and sockets in my kitchen fluorescent light which I'm doing my T8 experiment on. The job went ok and pretty quick except until I went to put the ladder away.

I forgot I had left my screwdrivers on the top step and they fell off and hit me on the head when I folded the ladder up. That made me feel pretty dumb. :stupid:

Anyone ever done something dumb like this ?

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Lol. I've done more dumb things to myself with my soldering iron than I could imagine.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Ever dropped your soldering Iron and before you can think about it you've caught it? I have several times.
Norm

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
ow! I cant remember things falling on me other than when I was a little kid and had a foam tube thing and I knocked the glass dome over the celing light off (the large plate looking ones) and it landed on top of my head and shattered. I was really confused for a second, because I didn't even feel it hit with the foam thing I had. I just looked at the ground at all the broke glass around me. I must have a tough head as I didn't get cut.

In fact I know I have a tough head, about a month ago I was in a car accident, from 70mph to 0mph in an instant, I was wearing my seatbelt but my head busted out the windshield really bad. I had a vertical line knotted up on my forehead, but no blood. 3 days and my head was normal. I came out really good for what happened.

It's good to be hard-headed! :p

I have however burned myself by forgetting what I was grabbing!! Never really bad, but enough to melt the fingerprint off my finger a couple times!! (it comes back).

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was sawing something once and when I slipped, the saw cut most of the way to the bone in my right thumb. :ohgeez: I generally don't touch saws anymore. :eek:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Concept said:
My most comon accident is dropping solder on my foot.

It really sucks when you get it between your toes!

Ow. I hate when that happens!

That reminded me of the very first time that I saw a soldering iron. I was at a hobby shop and I saw it laying on the counter, plugged in. I didn't know what it was so I picked it up to examine it. By the wrong end. :ohgeez:

WNG

Enlightened
I once changed the oil for my father's car. I used a bucket to catch the old oil.
After replacing the filter, installing the drain plug, and refilling the engine with 5 qts...
I gave my garage jack handle a twist, and the car rapidly dropped...
right on the bucket and crushing it resulting in oil splashing all over the underside of the car and garage!
What a @#$@ mess that was to clean.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I had my share of grabbing the soldering iron by the wrong end events... Also, had a little accident, where I put down the soldering iron not on its stand, but on my keyboard :ohgeez: Ugly looking scar on it, but still working. Well, the scar annoyed me, so I bought a new keyboard. I had a little soldering job to do last week... Guess where I accidentally put my soldering iron... exactly... :ohgeez:

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey; I remembered my first Radio Shack 30 watt iron. Was once working on an electronics project in the garage and had it plugged into a power strip with other cords next to it.

After I was done, I though I unplugged it but unplugged the charger for the DeWalt battery instead. Later, I went to put the iron away and picked it up by the tip.

MayCooper: I was doing a quick fan project on my computer and did a similar thing; only I put the iron on the stand but it turned slightly and melted the side of a telephone.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
MayCooper, could you combine the two keyboards to make one good one? hehe. Then put the good one in a box and use the bad one as you know it'll happen again!
Or how about this, move your soldering station away from your PC!!!

I've had the solder fall on bare feet (wearing flipflops in the garage) before too. My soldering irons are the ones I had from radio shack when I was in grade school!!

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
MayCooper, could you combine the two keyboards to make one good one? hehe. Then put the good one in a box and use the bad one as you know it'll happen again!
Or how about this, move your soldering station away from your PC!!!

Well, both keyboards are still working, just cosmetic damage, and both keyboards are damaged in almost exactly the same place...

And about moving my soldering station.... well... not an option... why? just check the 'what's on your desk' thread.... there's a pic of my desk

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
yuandrew said:
So just 15 minuites ago; I went to replace the ballast and sockets in my kitchen fluorescent light which I'm doing my T8 experiment on. The job went ok and pretty quick except until I went to put the ladder away.

I forgot I had left my screwdrivers on the top step and they fell off and hit me on the head when I folded the ladder up. That made me feel pretty dumb. :stupid:

Anyone ever done something dumb like this ?
I was relamping a fixture in a utility room with white walls and ceiling and got called away for the day. When I went to put the ladder away the following day I discovered (too late) that I had left an empty white colored coffee mug on the top of the ladder when it smacked me in the forehead on the way down. The mug blended perfectly with the white wall behind it when I walked into the room the second day. Never saw it coming.

I deserved it. Putting the mug on the top of the ladder was sheer laziness on my part. I should have bent down and put it on the ground next to the wall instead of perching it on top of the ladder.

Haven't had a Homer Simpson moment since then.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok... I just had the dumbest soldering iron accident of all...

I got home from work, and decided to make a few more charging cables for my Triton charger. So I set up all my stuff, and decide to put on some other pants (solder blobs on nice pants make significant other very angry). So I take off my nice pants, run to the kitchen for a drink, go to the bathroom where my hobby-pants are, grab my pants and see the ready light on my soldering iron come on just as I leave the bathroom. So I do the smart thing, and drop my stuff on the pile up on my desk, and start soldering. Somehow I got a bit distracted, and put the soldering iron down on the edge of my desk instead of in its stand. Turn around, knock the hot soldering iron off the desk, and in a reflex, try to catch it between my thighs.... yup, I tried to catch a hot soldering iron between my thighs, while I was just wearing my boxers... thank god it's late and my reflexes are slow because I'm tired.... I caught mostly cord and handle....

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeez, I'm amazed you people still have fingerprints! Ever try soldering guns? The kind that turn off when you're not actually soldering? Coleman also makes a cold-heat thingamajig that's not supposed to burn you when you're not soldering. Never actually used one though.

My story, not quite like the others, but it's the one that came to mind:

Years ago my wife and I were taking a shower together, back before we were married. She'd gotten out of the shower and was applying baby oil and drying off; I was still in the shower. I slid back the shower curtain and almost slipped. I did a bit of a dance and waved my arms all over the place and narrowly managed to retain my balance. My wife clapped and said, "Nice save!" So I step out of the shower and promptly slip on the wet floor, landing arse-first. Hard, too. My wife, bless her, did the only thing she could.

She laughed so hard she fell down too; luckily I'm softer to land on than ceramic tile.

We've since added rubber mats to the showers and throw rugs with sticky rubber backing to the floors outside the shower.

:buddies:

Last edited:

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
:clap: :clap:

Great story.

Guess it just goes to show that we're all part of the human race.
If you can't laugh at yourself every once in a while you need to get out more often.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
LumenHound-

Amen! I have a good friend that says, "If you can't laugh at yourself, you have no right to laugh at others."

:buddies: