Inova T3

Bow Hunter

Newly Enlightened
Looking for your thoughts. Am looking hard at this light for hunting and all around use. Wanted a long burn LED light with good spot light throw for searching the woods. I also camp a lot and would like the light to use on night hikes.
Thanks for your thoughts!!!

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent spotlight, but very little side spill...you'd probably be better with another flashlight for walking trails and stuff...maybe team up the T3 with an X5 - Would make a rugged, dependable combo with plenty of runtime between them (especially the X5 with around 5-6 hours off one set of cells).

A good headlamp might also be an option.

CFU

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of run-time are you looking for? As a general-use Inova combo, i suggest the TIROS XO and a Surefire F04 diffuser.

cslinger

Enlightened
Does it have to be a small light? A 2D Mag with the MAGLED in it will throw like mad while still giving some spill and will run a hair over 32 hours before dropping into a useable moon mode.

Chris

Danintex

Enlightened
As a general use hunting light, the Inova's aren't bad unless you're trying to navigate. Personally, I use my L5 much more for hikes and searching even though it doesn't run for quite as long. Spend a little extra and find a decent luxV light, or even a reflectored luxIII.

carrot

Flashaholic
If the 2h 23m runtime of the T3 is adequate for you, by all means go for it. Otherwise, you may want to consider the T2 instead, which has nearly 6 hours of runtime (5h 51m). Keep in mind that the T2 and T3 may not be suitable for navigation, but definitely have the "spot light throw" that you mention wanting.

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_t.htm

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it would work fine, I have used my X0 (old version, now X02) and X03 in that role last year in archery, rifle and muzzleloading seasons. I had no trouble with using them at all. Too floody and bright a beam tends to reflect off every branch with leaves and make it more difficult and also be "intrusive" in the woods. A fellow bow hunter will understand what I mean, it is a feeling and knowledge that everything in the woods knows you are there, instead of being part of the woods. I find the X0 (old version) and X03 have just enough spill to be effective.

Actually, I used my new X1 the other morning out checking a hunting area, and it worked very well. It has a floody beam, but is dim enough that you see just close up and do not intrude on the woods at all.

I may use both the X0 (old version) and X1 this year, using the X0 until I get closer to my area and then switch to the small X1 and its dimmer light.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
By the way, for anyone who doesn't already know, the TIROS XO/ XO2 is functionally the equivalent of the T2, but without the checkered grip pattern and clickie tailcap, and the XO3 is, again, the equivalent of the T3 but without the checkered grip pattern and clickie tailcap.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
I have the T2, T3 and X5T. They are all superb. The T3 would be an excellent "search" light even though it has a shorter run-time than the T2. I'd keep it holstered until I needed it. For night hikes in general I'd rely on a good headlamp first. It keeps two hands free for hiking or camping chores. It also conserves the T3 run-time until you need it.

iced_theater

Enlightened
The T3 is a good light, and I think has pretty decent sidespill. If your looking for that size light, also check out a Streamlight Tasklight 2L as it has better throw, almost the same sidespill and two levels of output.

Illum

Flashaholic
carrot said:
By the way, for anyone who doesn't already know, the TIROS XO/ XO2 is functionally the equivalent of the T2, but without the checkered grip pattern and clickie tailcap, and the XO3 is, again, the equivalent of the T3 but without the checkered grip pattern and clickie tailcap.

they are nearly identical...except the regulation and pricing...