Thermal images - flashlights

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently borrowed a Fluke Ti20 thermal imager from work. As well as checking around the house for thermal "leaks" I decided to put it to use on some flashlights. The pics you will see are just jpegs, however, the Fluke software gives a full thermal profile across the image.

This one is a series of pics from a Jil Intelli running full out. The time span from first pic to the last in the series is 6 min 18 sec. The high/low temps went from 27/29C (80/84F) to 62/67C (143/153F)! I stopped the test at that point because I did not want to cause the poor little RCR2 Li-ion cell to go postal and damage the Jil. The drive current in this tiny light is at or over an amp, so don't leave it on unattended, even for short periods of time!

This next one is a McLuxIII PD running at the standard current (~530mA). It heats up nice and evenly and was fine to leave on without overheating. Time span was 7 min 28 sec and the high/low temps were 28C/82F to 36C/97F.

Paul

jtice

Flashaholic
Reaaly cool ! :)
I time lapse of that would be really neat also.

I have seen those thermal imagers before, WAY too much $$$ to just play around with, but it would be really useful for things like this.

~John

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Images...

$$$$$--$6000 to be specific :)

NewBie has demonstrated an IR Camera (crude form of Thermal Imaging) but effective.. and cheap .. i guess it was sorta removing IR filder and installing X-Ray film on a cheap Web Cam.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is one of an ArcLS NG400 with an unanodized head and an anodized battery tube. Note that the emissivity of the un-anodized part is much less than the anodized piece. The diagonal stripe is electrical tape that is used to for calibration. The emissivity of Scotch PVC tape is supposed to be 0.97 so that can assist in measuring temperature of different objects.

The emissivity of the anodized aluminum is very close to the PVC electrical tape.

Wetterman

Newly Enlightened
Can't you get the temp scale shown in the pics? We have a $10k thermal imager at work and it's a nice piece of work to play around in the house. The thermal leaks of a house are obviously shown best in the winter time.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wetterman said:
Can't you get the temp scale shown in the pics? We have a $10k thermal imager at work and it's a nice piece of work to play around in the house. The thermal leaks of a house are obviously shown best in the winter time.

The temp shows when in the InsideIR software but the picture exported without the scale. I haven't had much time to play with the software yet.

Yes, I do plan on doing some scans when it gets colder. There's not much of a temperature differential between inside and outside yet.

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
Those are sweet, I've got to get access to one of those as well. I would love to see some time lapse as well.