~LED & Incand "real world" BEAMSHOTS!!~

cryhavok

Enlightened
I promised in another thread that I would put up some beamshots of my new Wolf Eyes 6mx explorer w/ 3.7v LA compared to my G&P 9v LA, but decided to add a few other lights from the collection in the shots as well. Hope you all enjoy!

The lights (minus the l1p and jetbeam)
alltop-1.jpg

McLuxIII-PD w/ UXOJ, Chrome Aleph 3/UXOJ/NG1000 (super pocket rocket!), WE 6MX Explorer w/ 3.7v LA & 18650, SF M2 host w/ G&P 9V LA run off 2xrcr123's, SF p61 LA, SF p60 LA, KL3 2nd gen.

allfront-1.jpg

And now let's dive right into the beamshots. The camera was on manual setting the whole time and I only resized the pictures in adobe. No other touchups/adjustments made. The target was the green bushes about 50 feet away. All the lights were held in the same position while the shots were taken, so approximate spill and hotspot size/intensity can be gauged from the pics...

The LED's
l1p-1.jpg

pd-1.jpg

jetbeam-1.jpg

kl3-1.jpg

aleph3-1.jpg

The Incand's
p60-1.jpg

p61-1.jpg

gp9v-1.jpg

6mx-1.jpg

Some random/overall impressions:

The Aleph3 completely rocks in output! The huge 38mm reflector makes for an awesomely bright and smooth beam. The PD is my EDC and is perfect in every way :grin2: The Jetbeam puts out a very bright hotspot (I carry the cr123 version on my keychain) but heats up very quickly too. The KL3 is best described as just a very even spot. The optic has no spill other than a few rainbow bands.

For anyone with a 2 cell surefire, you really are missing out if you don't have a 9v lamp assembly and are running it with 2xrcr123's. Completely changes the light in my opinion (plus it's free lumens!) For a complete package, the Wolf Eyes 6mx Explorer w/ 3.7v lamp assembly is pretty nice. The beam isn't as smooth and flawless as the G&P or SF LA's, but it is still very bright for the price. The spill from the 6mx is much larger, albeit a bit dimmer than the g&P setup. Hotspot is very tiny though. My preference still goes to the SF w/ G&P LA when I need to reach out an touch something with an incand.

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
Very nice, thank you for your time and effort! This should help some with their decision making :)

EV_007

Enlightened
Nice shots! Is that the G&P 9v HP or the standard 9v?

I use the standard 9v with rechargeables in my Z2 and it is indeed a good package.

It throws further than my P91, but not as floody of course.

G&P G90 9v has the whitest beam compared to my P60- 61 90-91 bulbs.

I want to try the 9v HP version, if I can find one that is.

Again, excellent beamshots.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Keeping an eye on this thread...

I was also wondering whether that was the higher power version of the G&P.

I was surprised when I tested the current draw with a P90 from two RCR's. I think it was only like 1.1 or 1.2 amps if I remember correctly.

Could you measure the current draw of your G&P lamp? And the Wolfeyes too?

arty

Enlightened
I am curious about the runtime of the rechargable solution by G&P...
Who sells it?
Is this "safer" than using primary cells?
Output is good, that is certain.

jts

Newly Enlightened
very nice shots! i agree that the beam quality on the W/E setup is not as "clean" as a SF LA, but it's not objectionable to me. do, however, agree that the hotspot could be bigger. it really is a pinpoint.

As for the comparison with the G&P 9v, output looks about the same, so i would give the nod to the 3.7v lamp with am 18650. run time should be all over a 9v/2 rcr123 setup. might need to pick up a D26 and a standard head for a floodier option . . .

cryhavok

Enlightened
EV_007,

It says "High pressure" on the bulb, so I guess that is what it is!

InfidelCastro,

Sorry, don't have the equipment to measure current.

arty,

It is a bit risky because I have to use the unprotected RCR123's because the protected ones cannot provide the high current to the bulb without double tapping. That said, as long as you don't drain them too much you should be fine. I suspect runtime to be ~30 mins.

cheapo,

Yes that is the original Jetbeam.

kbrd

Newly Enlightened
I have a Surefire G2Z Nitrolon. Will the GP 9volt work with this. If so where can I get it and what exactly should I order(i.e. protected or non)
Thanks

dchao

Enlightened
cryhavok said:
My preference still goes to the SF w/ G&P LA when I need to reach out an touch something with an incand.
Thanks for the beamshots.

IMO, the 2xRCR123 doesn't do justice to the 9V G&P LA, the RCR123 under 1A load will drop to below 3.6V very quickly. If you already like the 9V G&P LA, you should try driving a 9V LA with 2x18500 as in the PILA GL3. You will see a wall of light much much longer.

I compared the WE 6M to my PILA GL3, and I still prefer the output of GL3 more.