What Flashlight to get?

Iron Man

Newly Enlightened
Ok here's the deal. I have many many lights from Inova to streamlight to Mag light and so on.

Now what I am looking for is a light that has a long runtime (thats why I am here in the LED section) and that take easy to find batteries. It will be used for emergency and everyday use. Somthing I can grab incase the power goes out or I have to head into the basement because of tornado or severe weather. It has to be rugged and tough also. Indaina can have some crazy with and I like to be prepared.

I would grab my Inova T2 but cr123a are not the easy to come by around here unless you have extra with you.

So far this is my choice

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

PS I already have a Mag-Light 3D LED so thats out. I also have the Inova X1 which is great but I am looking for somthing bigger.

Last edited:

Iron Man

Newly Enlightened
Know one huh, well I guess I will let this post run for a few days and just plan on getting the Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon 3C

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
The propoly 3c is an AWESOME choice. I bought one for myself, and i loved it. My dad loved it too, which is rare because he is a maglite kinda guy ("it makes light and is tough, thats all i need"). I gave it to him, and now plan to buy one for myself eventually.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propoly_3c.htm
the runtime graph is what sold me...5 hours+ regulated on 3c batteries.
that is good :D

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second what MayCooper said. The two SL PPs have great output and very good runtime for the amount of light they produce. The UK 4AA eLed has GREAT runtime - it's a Luxeon [one watt] and has a good beam. All are rugged enough for almost any use and are good values.

You may want to consider getting some CR123a batteries online somewhere [~ $1.25 each] because they have such a GREAT shelf-life [ 10 years!] and so will virtually always be ready when you need them. The Dorcy Super 1-Watt and the Pelican M1 are great single cell CR123 lights in the $20 - $25 range.

Iron Man

Newly Enlightened
skalomax said:
What about a Fenix L2T?

They are Decent and Have Good Runtime and you can use rechargeables.

Yes I am planning on getting one of those. But I need somthing with longer run time.

So far its looking like the Propoly Streamlight 3c It has the 6 hours of run time then it starts to trail off. Now thats what I am talking about! The 4AA is also a good choice I got one for my dad. But I want more run time hence the 3c model

Side note: I do get my CR123a off the net for a buck a piece. I have a good stock of them. My point is that if there is a tornado or some other awful even its going to be easier to find C batteries.

Last edited:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got an Ledbeam light...3 c cells...aluminum mag style light...most powerful LED light I have now...powerful spot...smooth sidespill....$22- free shipping....not an everyday use light....the switch is cheap...special on ...3 for $54...great present for Christmas! Flashlightreviews reviewed it in 2005...not on the current list...use their master list.

Iron Man

Newly Enlightened
I looked at the LEDbeam light looks cool and I may check it out but its not going to meet the specs I am looking for. But I think I am going to get one to play with or for a gift.

iamerror

Enlightened
Another option is buying a SMJ-LED PR based bulb and finding a 2C or 2D flashlight that will take it. This won't be a real bright light, but the runtime will be very high.