HDS EDC 60XRGT and Aleph I/II/III

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
I'm considering the insane idea of buying an Aleph having already an EDC 60XRGT.
Is here any side by side comparison between these lights?
What could I get from Alephs that I have not already with my EDC?

Thanks in advance

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably the Aleph 1 and 3 will give you more throw, and depending on what LE and battery configuration, perhaps more lumens and longer runtimes. An Aleph 3 or an HD45 will give you enough advantages over your HDS to perhaps justify another light. ;)

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
leukos said:
Probably the Aleph 1 and 3 will give you more throw, and depending on what LE and battery configuration, perhaps more lumens and longer runtimes. An Aleph 3 or an HD45 will give you enough advantages over your HDS to perhaps justify another light. ;)

Yeah, BTW I'm running HDS with 2*123 extender...it would be nice to know the Lumens of Aleph 3 with BB917 (2*123 config).
Just wondering if it's wise to buy another LuxIII light being K2 already on the market ......

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the big advantages of the Aleph system is the interchangeability of parts. You can swap body tubes, tail caps, heads and light engines around to make whatever light you find most useful at the moment. Since most of these parts are no longer readily available, it would be hard to build your collection now, and the system doesn't make much sense for a newbie to get into. For almost every single Aleph configuration, there is a non-Aleph that gets the job done at least a bit better. The Aleph3 is sort of an exception, it would be hard to beat its throwing ability in a light of similar size.

I love the system myself, but I have 8 light engines of various configurations, 6 different heads, and 8 different tailcaps, along with a number of different battery tubes. It would be hard or expensive for someone to get to that point now.

One other advantage is upgradeability. Its not hard to upgrade the LED when a brighter Luxeon comes along.

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
RA40 said:
I debate this too, the Aleph's will be nice lights even with the techno advances IMO. The Cree threads are interesting special note to Don's posts:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=138359

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=138316

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136476&page=1&pp=30

Went to read those posts and they're quite interesting ;-)
I made up my mind: it's not the time to go for another light. Either Lux III based and Cree based.
My understanding is just that current situation is way much changin' .

Thanks to you all BTW :)

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, if you want to spend money on new lights now, high-end incandescent may be your best choice for lights that will retain their value. :)

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
leukos said:
Yes, if you want to spend money on new lights now, high-end incandescent may be your best choice for lights that will retain their value. :)

Some suggestions please :)

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
With prices coming down on HID and perhaps a new LED landscape in 2007, I find Surefire's Millenium Series to be a good avenue for flashaholic relief (those over 100 lumens). :)

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
leukos said:
With prices coming down on HID and perhaps a new LED landscape in 2007, I find Surefire's Millenium Series to be a good avenue for flashaholic relief (those over 100 lumens). :)

I see, thus M2 or M4, cause I'd like to use my 168S rechargeables.
BTW: I'm sure they'll fit, but I'm not sure about the lamp assembly compatibility with lower voltages. Any answer?

Thanks

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
M2 would require a 3.7 volt lamp made by both G&P or Pila. The M4 would need to use the M3T lamps, MN15/MN16. I prefer the M3/M3T as no changes are needed to switch from primaries to li-ions (2x 17500), but you could also add an A19 and use your 168s (17670). There are some good threads with more info over in the incandescent forum, but I don't have the links handy. :)

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even current SF incandescent light are likely to be "outmoded" soon as Osram's IRC bulb technology comes into the mainstream.

Its a waste to worry about whether or not a light you buy will "hold its value". Buy what you can use and don't worry about its impending obsolescence.

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
@Leukos
I run the M3/150S combo for more than a year, but in the end I was pretty fed up of the additional spring required.
I could run M4 with MN15/MN16, but I guess an additional spring would be required also.
I'm deeply interested in WolfEyes 6M which is on par with M3 but running 168S just out of the shelf and at a fraction of the cost.

@wasBlinded
It not just a matter of preserving value. Here in Italy disposable 123 batts are insanely priced... thus an incandescent not capable of being powered by rechargeables is a no way to me.
Could you please direct me to a direct link about Osram new technology?

Thanks

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can learn a lot about the Osram IRC bulbs in this thread - though it may be more than you bargained for: OSRAM

Looks like it has the hotwire guys pretty pumped up.

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
wasBlinded said:
You can learn a lot about the Osram IRC bulbs in this thread - though it may be more than you bargained for: OSRAM

Looks like it has the hotwire guys pretty pumped up.

Huge thanks :)