What to buy? Fenix L2T or Nuwai TM-301X-3?

MilitaryPower

Newly Enlightened
I already have an Inova T4, XO, X5, and Coast Recon, but I want a good two stage light. Please educate me on the pros and cons of each since I have no experience on either. I plan on wearing it on my belt (the T4 is a bit big for everyday wear), as a compromise between the best qualities of my Inova's.

I like the 75 lumens of the Nuwai but the AA use of the Fenix is more economical. There is only like a ten dollar difference in cost between the two that I'm aware of.

Thanks.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF,

I have only the Fenix lights, The advantage of the L2T is that AA batteries are readily avalable and it has the two brightness levels. Another option is the Fenix L1T

Mike89

Enlightened
I don't know anything about the Nuwai but it sounds interesting. I would think the light output would be significantly more than the L2T being the Nuwai is running on 6 volts vs the L2T at 3 volts. I have the L2T and believe me, it's no slouch in light output itself. I'm always amazed when I go out at night and see how much this little light puts out with 2 AA batteries. People that I've shown it to in action can't believe it when they see it after seeing the light it produces. I can imagine what a 6 volter would do. The only thing I noted that I didn't particularly like was that is has a plastic lens (L2T has a glass lens). Every flashlight I've ever had with plastic lens always ended up looking pretty funky after awhile

I may just check this light out anyway being I don't have one yet that runs on 2 cr123 batteries. You got me kind of curious. I would even be more intrigued if I could find one comparable to this with glass instead of plastic (in the same price range).

Last edited:

Hiker

Newly Enlightened
I have an L2T. Seems a good balance between light output and battery life (especially in low mode). I keep it in my emergency kit when I am hiking so I want something that has a decent amount of light in low mode (it is fine for my general trail hiking) yet long battery life (very good in low). I wanted a higher output setting for those rarer times when I need to see futher or really light something up. I wanted something that was compact and light. It fits the bill pretty well.

Another advantage is that it takes standard AA''s, lithiums, or NiMH batteries. The lithiums are so light I can take a back-up pair.

The Liteflux is very similar and seems very popular here as well.

evanlocc

Enlightened
Well, i havent have the L1S/L2S on hand now

...but there was once i forgot to click off my L2T since 12 midnight until 6 in the morning and still shine brightly i think it should be in 1W mode.

myk

Enlightened
I have the 301X-3, and freakin love it. Get the silver/titanium color one, not the black, the black anno rubs of too easy for my taste. There's also the 301X-5 which is more flood than the 301X-3 with a lux V LED.

its tiny (cr123a are small batteries). Glass lenses are available from flashlightlens.com.

Either way i think a more fare comparison would be to a Nuwai Q3 (301X-3, but only one cr123-) to the fenix l2t, as both are 3V lights
As for the cr123a's being expensive, all I can say is buy a bunch when you buy your light - most places dont charge a lot extra shipping to add batteries. at $1 to $2 each, theyre not bad - compare them to the Energizer e2 lithium AA's for $3/each

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you buy a Fenix L2T you will have the option of adding a "nekomane" 1xCR123 body to it...which would give you the best of both worlds.

Or another option is the Huntlight FT-02X, that comes with a tube for 1xCR123 or a tube for 2xAA

CFU

beakman

Newly Enlightened
Actually, flashlightreviews.com has done a review of both lights, and the L2T had more overall output than the Nuwai TM-301X-3 (3150 for L2T vs. 2800 for Nuwai) and almost as much throw (31.62 for L2T vs. 36.06 for Nuwai). The Nuwai does not put out the "75 lumens" advertised.

Choosing between the two, I'd probably take the L2T, with HAIII, glass lens, and ability to take the more common AA battery (alkaline, NiMH or lithium).

beakman

Mike89

Enlightened
Glass lenses are available from flashlightlens.com.

I'm checking right now on that site to see if they carry this specific one. I wish they would list each model they carry lens for instead of just sizes. I asked them through the online form.

Does anyone know how a lens would be changed for this light? Never did it before but it seems difficult being you can't just unscrew the top to take the lens out (at least I don't think you can).

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nuwai putting out 75 lumens is a laugh! Typical sales hype. I'd go with the Fenix L2T for the reasons already stated.

Mike89

Enlightened
As I said, I can vouch for the L2T being I have one. I admit I am intrigued though with an LED Flashlight putting out 6 volts (as I've never had one). You would think it would have to be putting out more light than a 3 volt.

I wonder if Fenix will ever make one that runs off 2 cr123a batteries. Now that I would definitely be interested in.

Last edited:

m1999

Newly Enlightened
I have Nuwai BigQIII and love it. Anyway, Fenix is a newer construction - has more efficient power circuit.
Nuwai is very small as for 2 battery (1" shorter than L2T) and has very strong and solid construction.

Plastic or glass lens - glass is less shockproof. Nuwai lens is about 1cm depth inside the body - this secure it from scratch and impact.

Last but not least - reflector. Nuwai has fantastic texturised reflector which gives very good compromise between wide and bright corona and spot center. As I know, Fenix has polished reflector = less usable corona.

Fenix has advanced electronic, Nuwai has simple resistor. Sometimes simple is better - electronic can be potentially point of failure.

But for true: Fenix will be more suitable (AA size) for most people. But if you want really emergency light, which can survive low temperatures and brutal behavior - Nuwai can be a better alternative.

vic303

Enlightened
I've had the 301-x3, and it was a good light. It DOES have High/Low switching too. The only reason I sold it was to move out of 2xcr123 lights.

The Huntlight FT02x-series of lights will do 1xcr123 OR 2AA, and has VERY good tint and is bright. It is HAIII, glass lens, and available from JSBurley or Lighthound for US sales. I really like my Huntlight! I'm jealous of the folks able now to order the X-SE version with the 80lumen output.

Mike89

Enlightened
Well I just got the TM-301-3. It was my first light using 2 123a batteries. To tell the truth I was expecting it to put out more light than it actually does. I was thinking because it was running on twice the voltage of the L2T, it was going to be substantially brighter. To tell the truth the L2T still outshines it. I was very surprised by that. It's a bit of a different light pattern than the L2T. The L2T is more pronounced in the beam, has a little bit more throw and even has a wider spill. The TM-301-3 is more even being it's hard to even see any kind of a spot. It's just one big circle of light. I like the light but wish I would have got the 5 watt version instead.