High Temp lens?

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
I'm building a modded mag that will be running a 65w IRC bulb at over 100w.

Will I need a special lens to cope with the heat? I've got some mineral glass lenses from fenix-store, but I'm not sure if they're up to it. What do you guys use in your 100w + mags?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need a heat resistant lens bear in mind that fit may be very important. Even borofloat must have room to expand when it gets hot or it will break.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a Borofloat lens (from flashlightlens.com) in front of a 130W lamp with no problem. The key issue here may be thermal shock, as the aftermarket glass Maglite windows are very thin. YMMV. I was very careful during experimentation phase with the 130W setup to avoid flying bits of glass just in case something blew.

BTW, any of the "float" or "borosilicate" glasses will have improved resistance to thermal shock over mineral glasses.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
borofloat is what i use in my >100W lights.. i will be getting some of those mineral glass from "7777" and i don't suspect any problem with them, i love the price and the smooth edges!

avoid the UCL.. they can't take the heat.. i've cracked 3 from 100W lights.

-awr

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
Ok, thanks guys... Borofloat lens ordered... Bulb's are on their way, this hotwire is pretty much finished... Beamshots soon. :)

Lighthound have borofloats, so I'm gonna order now. :)

Last edited: