How well does Fenix L2p work with L1p-body?

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried to use the searchfunction and google also, but can't find anything good (perhaps more a testimony of my searchskills than the searchmotor...). How well does the L2p head work on a L1p-body? More or less output? Shorter/longer runtime? Etc.

Bozzlite

Enlightened
The L2P head works pretty darn good on the L1P body. You will get close to the light output of the L2P. Since the L2P head is fully regulated, you also get a flatter (read more constant) light out put until the near exhaustion of the battery. The L1P will dim slighty as the battery gets weaker. NiMh rechargeables work best. For me anyway. I have not done a run time comparison, but the L1P puts out usable light for at least 2 and 1/2 hours.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn, you just made me a happy camper! Really good news, I'm on a quite tight budget, but buying a l1p body will solve most of my illumination problems then. Sweet.

And oh, my 100th post, I'm officially a flashaholic! Damn... :ohgeez: :)

Culhain

Enlightened
L2P on L1 body is a great combo and very efficient.

I run mine on E2 lithiums and the light output is very close to that from the two cell body.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 2aa, 1aa and 123 combo of the L2P the only thing I changed was the R bin lux 1 for a SXOH lux 1 and the difference in output and tint is amazing, the regulator is very good since you can't tell the difference in output, its a keeper... Until the Fenix CREE lights show up (hopefully soon)

AlexGT

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
It won't work well with an alkaline cell, but if you us Nimh or Lithium AA it should work very well.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bozzlite said:
The L2P head works pretty darn good on the L1P body. You will get close to the light output of the L2P. Since the L2P head is fully regulated, you also get a flatter (read more constant) light out put until the near exhaustion of the battery. The L1P will dim slighty as the battery gets weaker. NiMh rechargeables work best. For me anyway. I have not done a run time comparison, but the L1P puts out usable light for at least 2 and 1/2 hours.

The L2P is regulated on 2 cells but not on 1 cell. The regulation won't kick in until the input voltage gets right around 2v.

The L2P circuit is slightly more efficient, and will give a bit longer runtime than the L1P.

Since the luxeon lottery is in play here the L2P head L1P body combo may infact not be as bright as a stock L1P.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't find the runtime plots now, but I remember seeing the L2P running in FULL current regulation (pretty much ruler flat output after the initial thermal drop and before cell depletion) on a single Nimh cell for a runtime to 50% brightness that beat an L1P. Adding another Nimh cell for two simply gave a longer runtime, not more brightness.

Perhaps I am remembering incorrectly, if so point me to the appropriate runtime plots.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
wasBlinded said:
I can't find the runtime plots now, but I remember seeing the L2P running in FULL current regulation (pretty much ruler flat output after the initial thermal drop and before cell depletion) on a single Nimh cell for a runtime to 50% brightness that beat an L1P. Adding another Nimh cell for two simply gave a longer runtime, not more brightness.

Perhaps I am remembering incorrectly, if so point me to the appropriate runtime plots.

Fenix_L1P_and_L2P_with_single_lithium_Ni-MH_and_alkaline_runtimes.png

No current regulation, it's just following the excellent output curve of the Ni-MH and Lithium cells.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
HEY HEY ITS HENDO said:
Hey Lobo, i say forget the L1p body, get a cr123 body

http://fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=27_44 :goodjob:

and run it on li-ion recargeables,then you will be a REALLY ECSTATIC happy camper :)

Haha, thanks for the tip, it looks like a really sweet setup. Unfortunately, I have an aversion against lithium cr123. They are a bloody hazzle to get at reasonable prices where I live, or rather, I'm a pretty cheap guy who loves his guiltfree lumens. NiMh all the way here.