Brinkmann Maxfire LX

pilotmatt

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows the Luman output of this light? I tried a search, but no luck. Thanks!!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
One of the best bargains in flashlights, ever!

Except for the Surefire name on the side of the barrel, there's no reason to buy a G2. Just go to Target, pay $17, and walk out with the Maxfire instead. :rock:

h_nu

Enlightened
I got my G2 before I saw all the posts about the lack of a LOTC on the original models. I didn't like that so I got the Brinkmann. I'm much happier with it than the G2.

Consider getting the LED module from

http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/drledmo.html

It's very white and well liked in the forums.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I still think the G2 is a great light, but I like to have a clicky.

Most of the Maxfires I see have material flaws or crooked bulbs. But if you pick through the pile, you'll find a good one like I did.

The Maxfire's tailswitch is pretty nice and seems reliable in my experience and from most reports.

I don't know how many CR123's other people have run through theirs, mine has seen one set so far. We'll see how well the bulb holds up. I keep in mind in the back of my head though that you get what you pay for. But so far so good.

It seems to have more output than a P60 bulb and better throw. The larger reflector helps I'm sure. The beam is not Surefire smooth, but very close. I'm willing to sacrifice a super smooth beam for a little extra throw.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
InfidelCastro said:
I don't know how many CR123's other people have run through theirs, mine has seen one set so far. We'll see how well the bulb holds up. I keep in mind in the back of my head though that you get what you pay for. But so far so good.

I'm on my 3rd set of batteries right now. Bulb is holding up well. :)

InfidelCastro

Banned
Glad to hear that. I mostly bought mine for a cold weather light. Like when it's so cold outside, that you don't even want to think about touching anything metal.

That's its main purpose in my flashlight shed. But I had to take it out for a spin a while ago to see how it behaves first. :)

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
Most of the Maxfires I see have material flaws or crooked bulbs. But if you pick through the pile, you'll find a good one like I did.
I don't worry about the crooked bulbs because they're "potted" in silicone rubber so are easy enough to straighten out. The most important thing is picking out a nice uniformly stippled reflector for best beam quality.

OTOH the P60 bulb is potted in ceramic and you're stuck with what it is. Once I complained to Surefire that their bulb was just way too crooked, and they sent me another crooked one.
sigh.gif
Considering the asking price of the bulbs alone (~1.5x that of a whole Maxfire LX including bulb and batteries), they should never be crooked at all.