Spamcop

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone here use Spamcop? I do- all unsolicited commercial mail gets disposed of down Julian Haight`s handy spam toliet bowl. But not this morning- I can`t get the site to come up, just sits there and eventually I get "page cannot be displayed". Anyone else here use Spamcop, and noticed the same thing?

It`s a little annoying. I`ve an Inbox full of carp
wink.gif
and nowhere to flush it....

rolleyes.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

junkmail <[email protected]>

this is where I forward all my junkmail. Can non-earthlink members use it? In my imagination someone keeps track of it all and goes after a big abuser now and then..
tongue.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I`ve an Inbox full of carp and nowhere to flush it....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Isn't it possible to just delete them? (I'm using "the Bat" for my mail.)
confused.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure I can just delete them, but the point of Spamcop is to report unsolicited and unwanted junk mail and try to wipe it out. By submitting unwanted Spam messages to Spamcop, as a result of their processes, parsing the headers and message content, abuse reports are sent to the network administrators hosting the web sites and e-mail accounts of the offending spammers (and all Spammers offend me!). In some cases it can result in them getting their account terminated. At the very least, it gives me the feeling that I`m trying to do something to stop one of the Internet`s other evils (the first being Automated Popups and the third being Times New Roman
mad.gif
).

Thanks for the link Ted, but I think you`re right that it`s for Earthlink members only, I havn`t heard of that one for other email providers.

...anyways, worry over. Spamcop was back when I tried it about 10 minutes ago, so three more pieces of unwanted junk have now gone swirling round the bowl and down the drain.

If you hate Spam and want something done about it- try it, it`s free. Not sure how effective it is, but there`s the placebo effect putting your mind at rest if nothing else. http://spamcop.net

Damn, I`m beginning to sound like Craig with all these toliet references. I wonder if Flushaholism is contagious?
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

we interupt this program to bring you this breaking news, from http://spamcop.net :
"...
SpamCop under attack

SpamCop is being attacked with a Distributed Denial of Service attack (DDoS). Service will be restored as soon as possible.

In the meantime, representatives of Qwest are asked to investiage reports of abuse from your network. Packets appear to be originating in Qwest IP space. Packets are destined for SpamCop ip space (64.90.162.80/28).

This attack began around 8:30 am EST and is ongoing as of 5:26 pm EST. .."

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eeep
shocked.gif

Not entirely certain what that means, but it sure does sound bad. It`ll explain the patchy access to the site I`ve been getting this evening. Wouldn`t fire up just a minute ago.

Just another bit of proof that Spammers are the spawn of evil. (if I understand it right) They`ll even sink to such lows as f""""ing up sites that try to stop their durge from reaching folks that don`t want it.

Uck
mad.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif

LED-FX

Enlightened
OPersonally I`m using Mailwasher
www.mailwasher.net

Its free and has handy facility to bounce the mail back to sender making it look like your address is dead.Seems to be working a treat with the Korean spam problem I was having....

Adam

D

**DONOTDELETE**

fyi*: mailwasher works only with windows..

(*for your information
wink.gif
)

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads-up Adam, I downloaded Mailwashwer and have put it into service for a week`s trial. If it does its job well, it`ll stay and I`ll register it too. Looks like a great program.
I wonder how well it works at real-time mail checking. I leave my e-mail program open all the time, pinging the server at regular intervals. Looks like Mailwasher can take over "pinging duty" keeping me up to date with incomings, and OE can be left to itsself until I get valid mail that wants downloading, but I`ll see how effective it is like this over the next week.

It`s a shame it`s not Mac compatible, Ted. Maybe some day its creator will release a Mac version, or someone will come up with something for Apples that does a similar thing (without being too similar so as to infringe on Mailwasher`s design).

Bye bye Spam
grin.gif