Another recycling question for darell

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Ok Mr. Use-It-Again,

Juice boxes - trash or recycle? Please don't say give 'em to the kids for toys!
tongue.gif

Other plastic that doesn't have, "The Code." Do you forever banish it to trash or do you leave it up to the waste management sorters to pull out all the stuff that doesn't belong. I hear that mixing wrongly numbered plastics ruins the whole lot and it all goes to landfill. Yea or nay?

Darell

Flashaholic
Man, what kind of reputation have I started here?
shocked.gif

Juice boxes around here go in with the paper recycling. Our city waste guys do a great job of distributing a pamphlet (updated yearly) that describes damn near all trash/recycle situations. But those are for our facility specifically, and others are probably different.

I don't know about the plastic mixing making the whole batch trash.

Do we have any professional recyclers around here who could answer these questions better? I just do what I'm told
smile.gif

rlhess

Enlightened
I've heard about the wrong thing making the whole batch go to the landfill...but on the other hand, we have single-bin recylcing here in Glendale, CA. Newspapers, glass, plastic, steel, aluminum...all in one bin. They pick this up with robotic compactor trucks, so the glass is throughly mixed in with everything else. We also have a green waste automated container.

Other than that, it's a mystery.

Cheers,

Richard

Saaby

Flashaholic
We don't have a recycling program at all
icon13.gif
shocked.gif
it's a shame really...

I know I know, write to my local congressman....

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have curb side recycling here; gets picked up just like the garbage.

I believe our Juice boxes are melted and remade into flashlights they sell in Northen California to some flashlight geek
grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Doh!

Hey! I'm a flashlight geek! I live in Northern CA. Hmmm. You're not talking about *me* are you 11th-letter-of-the-Greek-alphabet-boy?

Ya know... a friend just today dropped my Illuminator on the tile floor after turning it on in his face. Usually I stop people before it's too late, but other times - like today - I feel the giggles are worth it. Got a little ding in the bezel, but otherwise good as new.

No matter how much trash you talk Kevin (that was a little recycle humor, you see), I STILL really like my Illuminator. I especially like the "low battery warning" feature that it offers. You know - when suddenly you're in the dark, your batteries are low.
grin.gif

Oops. Wait. This thread was about recycling, huh? Well, we have curb-side pickup too.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Yeah I'm a good person I guess...warned my friends to never look into any of my flashlights, then giggled a lot when I got my Arc AAA (Aparently my suspicions are correct and none of them listen to me
wink.gif
) then again when I got my Brinkmann LX, and I think we'll have another go around when a certain bright yet portable light arrives.

Saaby

Flashaholic
. So while we're on the topic of recycling, did you know that everything was recycled (trash wise) durring the Olympics? Kind of... There were 2 types of trash cans. They had one for cans, and then one for everything else. On the everythne else cans it had a big recycling logo and said that like 98% or something like that of the trash thrown into that can would be recycled. Felt a little odd throwing my food scraps into a recycling bin but that's the way it was!

Darell

Flashaholic
Ick. Much of that sorting is still done by hand. But if those guys were to eat your scraps, they could chalk that up in the recycle column I guess.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by darell:
Doh!

Hey! I'm a flashlight geek! I live in Northern CA. Hmmm. You're not talking about *me* are you 11th-letter-of-the-Greek-alphabet-boy?

No matter how much trash you talk Kevin (that was a little recycle humor, you see), I STILL really like my Illuminator. I especially like the "low battery warning" feature that it offers. You know - when suddenly you're in the dark, your batteries are low.
grin.gif

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ok, let's get one thing straight here Mr. Energy; that's I'm a "12th-letter-of-the-alphabet-Greek-letter-boy".

Boy howdy am I glad you're impressed with that low battery warning feature. I kind of had you in mind when I implemented it. Didn't want you agonizing on having to throw out batteries that might just have another 0.0001% energy left in them. I call it the clear concious feature; pitch them, put in some more, or better yet, recharge them!
cool.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
You must know by now how I just *hate* to be right.
smile.gif
Where do you come up with the *12th* letter? You use all your finger, then just ONE toe.

{Lambda} defn' : Lambda is the 11th lower case letter of the Greek alphabet. The overall shape of the lambda suggested a flame to the Romans, and consequently it was used as the symbol for "lampas," their Latin word for torch;
Due to its association with light, when the early physicists required a symbol for wavelength, the lambda was a logical choice.

Need some freshly charged NiMH's in the illuminator that you use to read your dictionary, Mr. Velocity over Frequency?

grin.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by darell:
You must know by now how I just *hate* to be right.
smile.gif
Where do you come up with the *12th* letter? You use all your finger, then just ONE toe.

{Lambda} defn' : Lambda is the 11th lower case letter of the Greek alphabet. The overall shape of the lambda suggested a flame to the Romans, and consequently it was used as the symbol for "lampas," their Latin word for torch;
Due to its association with light, when the early physicists required a symbol for wavelength, the lambda was a logical choice.

Need some freshly charged NiMH's in the illuminator that you use to read your dictionary, Mr. Velocity over Frequency?

grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ha, ha......
grin.gif

Ah, but you failed to notice the change "12th-letter-of-the-alphabet-Greek-letter-boy" referring to the 12th letter of the current Arabic alphabet; I made no reference to it being the 12th letter of the Greek alphabet. Only that Lambda is Greek letter which corresponds to the 12th letter of the current alphabet.

See the difference? Mr. Hyper warp over modulation wavelength frequency matrixed perpetual poster?
icon15.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Damn. I figured that *not* reading your posts would get me in trouble one day. I just wasn't prepared to be caught so soon...

Uncle.

Now leave me alone, I'm in another window trying to rewrite a recent LA times article on EVs.

BOT:
I recycled my plastic milk jug this morning. We couldn't do that last year... this year they accept them.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they may have to start curb side battery recycling here soon. I think Batteries Plus is getting tired of me bringing them bags of spent batteries to recycle.

And, I'm sure the LA Times will just love to get their facts straight. By the time they re-edit your letter on EVs for publication, the public will think EVs are nuclear powered and will demand a stop to production......