What to do w/a SureFire "6R"?

Jorge Banner

Newly Enlightened
I need some advice.

I have a:

# SureFire "6R" ("6R131") flashlight, new, w/box, manuals, etc., etc.

# the lamp is an "R60" for 6V

# the rechargeable pack is a"B65" (full length, four parts, shrinkable plastic encased, needs the additional body part on)

# the charger is a "C100"

# the transformer is a "T130"

# removing the additional body part, shortening to a single body part, it takes two "123" batteries.

Questions: is there a way to transform this light to LED? Is it worth it? Or is it better to leave it as it is? All advice will be most worlcome.

TIA

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would shuve 2 123a's into it and a p60 globe and see what it does worst case is that it doesn't work. I assume it doesn't work now.
You could look for those lamps and have new battery pak made as well.
Yaesumofo

Reaper

Enlightened
I had the same 6R model but the rechargable batteries finally gave up many years ago so I just converted it to use 2x123's. Two weeks ago I dropped in the 3w led module from Lighthound and I find it to work very nicely. Bright, batteries last longer and I no longer have to worry about bulbs blowing. Only thing I found against it was that the spring tension was too great so I finally shortened it (cuting it in half) and reforming the pig tail end. Hopes this helps.

Last edited:

Jorge Banner

Newly Enlightened
[font=&quot]Thanks, yaesumofo, if I understand you correctly, you mean the P60 does work but the battery pack would be dead by now? It's not the case, the battery pack saw no use and so it seems to hold a charge. I haven't put it to the test to see how long it lasts, but the light goes on nicely. And the B65 is still being sold. Thanks.[/font]

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the pack holds a charge, then use it. About the lamps--the R60 is basically identical to the P60, so much so that SF uses the P60 for these applications these days. They're interchargable.

Another option is to use a battery spacer with three 123's, and a P90 bulb. Very bright.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the pack has been sitting for a long time un used it may need to have some cycles put through it to get it up to full capacity.
I do not know what globe to recomend.
Look at the SureFire website for information on the light and the globes.
The poster above said somthing about a G and P led for his that sounds like a great idea.
I do not have this light.
If it is the same as a 6P but has a rechargable battery but uses the same globes then you SHOULD be good to go. I would look for the specific globes for that light. I would check the voltage of the battery pack. If it is 6 volts and the p60 globe fits then you will be fine.
I prpbably shouldn't have posted anything here since I do not have this particular flashlight.
I do not mean to miss lead.
SureFire tend to do things in a very modular way so that parts can be mixed and matched.
Good luck
Yaesumofo

Jorge Banner said:
[font=&quot]Thanks, yaesumofo, if I understand you correctly, you mean the P60 does work but the battery pack would be dead by now? It's not the case, the battery pack saw no use and so it seems to hold a charge. I haven't put it to the test to see how long it lasts, but the light goes on nicely. And the B65 is still being sold. Thanks.[/font]

cy

Flashaholic
kinda like what do ya do with a Surefire 6?

surefire 6.JPG

Jorge Banner

Newly Enlightened
"kinda like what do ya do with a Surefire 6?"

That's just my question <G>.

Your box is nicer than mine. I got a simple cardboard one. Original SureFire, but probably somewhat older or another batch.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cy is the 6r interchangable with the 6P?
are they the same except that the 6r comes with a rechargable cell and a globe to match?
What globe is it? Can you run a stock p61 in it with 2 cr123 cells?
Yaesumofo

cy said:
kinda like what do ya do with a Surefire 6?

surefire%206.JPG

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6R is a 6P but with a removable A14 extension to fit the additional length of the B65. Once you take the extension off you can use two 123s in it like a 6P. The original lamp was an R60, the replacement is the P60. You can run a P61 as long as you don't melt the plastic lens.

Jorge Banner

Newly Enlightened
[font=&quot]
[/font] Thanks a lot, guys. You have contributed to my modest edumacation on these matters, quite a bit.

I'll buy a LED replacement for my 6R. No use in having it collecting dust. Not sure about which one, though, the price is quite different.

cy

Flashaholic
no clue what interchanges with 6P.

surefire 6 is the very first surefire produced. I have not tried interchanging P60 yet with 6

yaesumofo said:
Cy is the 6r interchangable with the 6P?
are they the same except that the 6r comes with a rechargable cell and a globe to match?
What globe is it? Can you run a stock p61 in it with 2 cr123 cells?
Yaesumofo

Reaper

Enlightened
If you still have the manual that came with the 6R, somewhere in the back it will mention that you can convert it to a 6P by removing the battery extender and that you also have to change the bulb too. The standard P60 and P61 will work but I would stay away from running the hotter P61 in it. The original 6R's (at least mine) came with a plastic lens and running the hotter P61 for any length of time will probably not do it any good. Any 6P accessories will also work if you've changed over but I do not know if the LED drop-ins will work if you leave it as a straight 6R form. If you like the length of it just leave it as is, but for me I eventually wanted it shorter so I changed it over. At one time, I also had it mated with a nice, bright, long running KL3.

Last edited:

Mike 208

Enlightened
My first Surefire was a 6R (which I still have); it came with the R60 lamp, rated at 50 lumens. The pamphlet that came with it said that the lamp could be used with lithium batteries. Later on, I bought a rechargeable kit to turn a 6P into a 6R; the pamphlet that came with the kit said that the P60 lamp had to be replaced with the R60 lamp before using the rechargeable battery, but did not need to be changed back if reconverted to the 6P configuration. Surefire later approved the use of the P60 lamp with the rechargeable battery (I believe the P61 lamp was also approved, but I'm not sure). I'm pretty sure the R60 lamp is no longer made.

Mike 208