Your Favorite Video Game

battman

Newly Enlightened
I've had Madden 2003 for my PS2 for 2 weeks now, and have to say it's possibly the best video game ever created. The graphics are just outstanding- the cheerleaders look great too! I'm totally addicted. The commentaries by Madden, Al Michaels, & Melissa Stark make it so real. I could go on & on about the quality & FUN of this game, but I'm really interested in what games the rest of you enjoy. Video games only now- blind the guy with your flashlight isn't a video game yet (though I may have stumbled onto a good idea for EA, Capcom, & Tecmo).
yellowlaugh.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Roller Coaster Tycoon, no contest. Havent played RCT 2 yet but I understand it's just RCT--only better.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
And you guys will never know the joy of sitting in a darkened bowling alley on Saturday night ("moonlight bowling" they called it) pumping ten bucks into a space invaders or an asteroids.

That was back when you actually DIALED a telephone.

Geez, I remember my first pong game. About the size of a microwave oven, a ton of wires, and ONE game, NO SOUND. Oh the endless hours of merriment and awe playing an Atari (Buckets and Bombs or Tank). Then the epitome of technology, Donkey Kong and Mario. Then we felt the hand of Zeus grace us with SEGA!!

But for myself, as much as things progress, as much as they change....I still see how they are always the same. (Boy, do I feel old)

rrtanton

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmmm. Well, there've been so many good ones, but my nostalgic memories take me back to the days of Star Control 2...ah, how I remember that. Best game ever (at least in my utterly biased opinion.) And if you dare to disagree, I will *dance* with you!

Enjoy the sauce!

rusty

SFR

Newly Enlightened
My friend lent me his GameCube not too long ago and I just played and played and played with "Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron 2".

Brought back memories of my favorite arcade game of all time: "Star Wars" (the original arcade game from 1983).

This was way back when Stars Wars was at its prime ("Return of the Jedi" just came out) and before any advanced 3D rendering technology was available (vector graphics never looked so good!).

http://www.yesterdayland.com/popopedia/shows/arcade/ag1138.php

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, like that old tank game. All green lines. Well time to pre-date all of you, does anyone remember those old submarine games. You'd look thru a periscope and press the fire button hoping to time your "torpedos" to hit the different vessels traveling at various speeds. And none of it digital, all analog and done with projectors and mirrors.

I always wondered what it would be like with my generation. I can see a bunch of old farts sitting at the home in rocking chairs, playing a pac-man machine and listening to Pink Floyd.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh, yes. Sea Wolf. Battlezone..

Did anyone ever play the old B/W Red Baron game? Used to love that.

For those who are nostalgic for arcade games from 'the good old days', look no further than Mame..

Graham

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dig Dug!!!

Of all the "older" video games, this was my favorite! I was in college at the time, and a friend of mine and I could play for 29 levels at least, on ONE MAN, and we knew all of the patterns to drop one rock, on all the dragons and fiquars at once, getting a HUGE bonus.

Such a stupid setup. You were a "digger" and you dig dirt, and there were fiquars and dragons that chased you though the dirt and paths. There were pockets of space, but it was mostly dirt. As you digged, the dirt turned into a clear path in back of you. The dragons could not breath fire on you unless they were in a free space. Also there were rocks, and you could tunnel up from beneath, to a suspended rock, and as the dragons and fiquars chased you, you would move left or right, and the rock would fall, after a short delay, and if you timed it just right, you would squish all the dragone and fiquars with that one rock.

Sounds dumb, but you have to play it, and have to watch someone good to get "into" it!

Once my friend and I played for 10 hours on a saturday, on TWO DOLLARS TOTAL! That's 8 quarters!

Astroids was (and is) fun too! I have it on my laptop right now! the little space ship shooting rocks and ships.

You talk about flashoholics, I am a "reformed" video-holic! I have been "fixin't" build me a gaming PC for the last 3 yesrs now, but have not done it yet, partly because I never have the money just laying around, and partly because I would be on that thing for days and nights on end playing.

I remember when DOOM first came out.I didn't have a pc powerful enought at home, so I would stay at work until midnight playing DOOM!

One time, I was taking a network class at work, and the class was thurs-fri and Sat. We were all a little upset that we had to come into work on a Sat. We had "state of the art" 90 MHz pentium computers in the classroom back then, and they were all networked together. Well, the Sat class ended around 2 pm, and someone mentioned DOOM, and we started talking about the network mode, and we all realised that we were DOOM fanatics, and we had some of the fastest PC's in the world and a state of the art Novell Network at our fingertips, and we had 2 or 3, FOUR MAN sessions of Networked DOOM going. That had to be 1992 or 1993. That was an incredible day!

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
HoloGraham,
where in Japan are you? My mother is nipponese and lives in Kobe. Used to visit there during summer vacations when I was a kid. It's where I first saw space invaders, before it hit the states.
LOVED Red Baron. So many games are starting to pop into my head now, Excite Bike, Defender...
Two Sega Genesis games come to mind, Dune and Road Rash.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in Tokyo. But I wasn't here when I was playing Red Baron. That was back in Brisbane, Australia (where I'm from..)

Oooh yeah. Defender. Now *there's* a classic.

And Spy Hunter - loved that one too, with the cool Peter Gunn music..

Graham

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Missle command dude, totally awesome. Broke well over a million once and just walked away because I was tired of playing. I have a Playstation (1) and got this classics disks that has Dig Dug, Galaga, Ms. Pac Man, and Pole Position on it. I remember this one game where you had to run thru a maze with robots shooting at you. You could shoot back and the robots would say in that old 80's vocoder voice "Stop the humanoid, stop the intruder". Can't think of the name.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Hey Bud--I have DigDug Lite on my graphing calculator--in fact I played it just today. (I was done with the test)

As far as classic games go I've played a select few in person, and many more with the arcade machine emulator MAME. I also have (It's at my brothers house...10 minute drive) access to a classic Nintendo. Nothing like a session of Super Mario Brothers
smile.gif
sure you don't have to plug in quarters but you DO have to pass it in 1 sitting...

On the subject on Classic Nintendo--anyone remember the few games that DID allow you to save via old old memory that required lithium batteries? Classic
grin.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by webley445:
I remember this one game where you had to run thru a maze with robots shooting at you. You could shoot back and the robots would say in that old 80's vocoder voice "Stop the humanoid, stop the intruder". Can't think of the name.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ahh. Berzerk, I'd say. With the bouncing head that came along if you took too much time..

Graham

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saaby,

Good to hear that dig dug is still around!

OH, and remember ATARI PONG!

Man, that was so cool in it's day!

I think that there should ALWAYS be simple games. Nothing is wrong with 1024x1280 graphics, with real time movement, and almost "live" looking graphics, but, man, sometimes I just want something to aim and shoot!

Bad Influence

Newly Enlightened
How about an entire series of games? Ultima I thru Ultima IX.

I have never seen an RPG that could match this level of immersion with such simplistic graphics and sound (Ultima II thru VI anyways).

Look it up online. Ultima IV is freeware now, and it's considered one of the BEST RPGs of all time.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I liked Ultima 8, but some of my favorites are Contra, Duck Hunt, ExciteBike, Kid Chameleon, Raiden II, Tekken2 - Tekken4, Dune 2, Jagged Alliance, Wolfenstein 3D, 007, and the newer Agent Under Fire. Command and Conquer Red Alert 2, and Counterstrike is my current favorite game. Not only do you get to kill people on the net. You always have a flashlight! Just hit the F key and you got your ( most likely ) Surefire turned on ready for low light CQB!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Brotherscrim

Enlightened
Metal Gear Solid & MGS-2; I couldn't tell you how many hours I've clocked in on those 2 games. Any Final Fantasy game before FFVII. Chrono Trigger.

As for a rather new game - I bought Robotech: Battlecry (I think that's the name) and it's tremendous. The graphics are beautiful, the game play is solid, and they actually got the original voice cast from the cartoon to do the voices in the game.

--Scrimmy

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spent hours and hours playing Quake II until I finished it. Then I went out and bought all the expantion packs and finished them also.

Once I get into a game on my computer I play it soooooo much I usually am burnt on it by the time I finish the game.

Joust was always fun at the arcade, and Galaxia.

There are alot of places on the web to play those classic games for free. Like Space Invaders , Asteroids, and a bunch more here.