Delete

NAW

Enlightened
Re: How *Not* to Get Shot - Surviving the Urban Hunter

I seen hunters wear orange vests or something like that when they go hunting(Its so they don't pop each other on accident)

VWTim

Enlightened

Sounds to me more like a poacher. All the hunters I know, and even the rednecks usually shoot the deer for meat. Very rarely do they shoot them for the antlers only. I do make it a habit to stay out of the woods during rifle season. You state should have their hunting calendars online, or can be picked up somewhere.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast

my advice would be

1. go to a court house and get a local game and fish book.
2. in the back or front of the book there will be a number for your local disrict fish and game officer. call him and tell him what you have seen, herd,.
3. DONT walk on a full moon night, as this is when animals are most active.
4. dont walk on fridays, saturdays,or dependant on where you live sunday, as most idiots get drunk and go raod hunting.
5. if you can ketch the poachers call your fish and game and they will come and arrest them and take away there licence, guns, vehicles. (depending on local laws)

one question were the dear guted and just the carcuse was there with no antlers? or was the whole bodt meat and everything there?

i hope this helps!

bitslammer

Enlightened

Just a guess but I'd say the idiots who did that will take those antlers and affix them to some other deer (probably a doe) that they shot so they can brag. You should contact the local game warden. They usually work closely with the local taxidermy shops and might be able to put a watch out for somebody coming in with antlers to "upgrade" their last mount.

I think asking how hunters think is like asking why each snowflake is different. There's definitely a group out there with some real self worth issues. These are usually the tye brandishing and showing off their guns and bragging about how many 20 point bucks they've shot. I'm never sure what makes some people tick but there will always be a group that can't follow the rules and make bad names for other hunters.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,

Although I don't think this is appropriate for this forum, and more for the cafe, I still have to weigh in and give it a big :thumbsdow - I'm from Wisconsin originally, and grew up around people going deer hunting (not a hunter myself), and realize it's necessary now that, due to humankind's expansion and increased population, we've killed the vast proportion of their natural predators - wolves, mountain lions, and bears - but this sort of thing is grossy unexceptable to me. People really can make me :( sometimes.
john

Flashlight Enthusiast

I woudl definately contact local gaming commision and the like in yoru area. And maybe find a different location for your walk. esp. if they are drunk. Better to find to dead dear than blood spots everywere or bullet holes in trees if drunk they won't be shooting too well.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast

stamat said:
Thanks, Benchmade_Boy! The suggestions are very practical.

The guts were torn open. The bodies were half way out of a large plastic bag - heads out. I could not see/judge whether the hind legs were still there. The cuts on the heads were so deep I could see the brains. Wonder if this is the way to get antlers off.

Ironically there is a lonely city fire station only a quarter mile from there.
depending on how fresh the body was either a coyoty tore it up or they Ilegaly dumped a carcase there. they may have taken the meat and the antlers and just dumped it there ileagaly. and yes that is they way they take the antlers, they somtimes break/crack the skull then cut the hide and it slipes out, but then they have a bone aroung the anteler. either way you need a book and contact your local fish & Game, they should investigate it. if you find another fresh one no matter what time it is call them right away so they can start the investigation. if you find them in the act try and get the licence plate number, then report it to the fish and game not law inforcment cuz they generally wont do anything.

and yes i do think this should be in the cafe not here, but thanks for letting us know and help about it.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast

stamat said:
Sorry for the disturbing description but you have to understand why I am asking. I know that the safest thing would be to abandon my night walks, buy a bigger TV, a 100 channel cable plan and a gym subscription.
Short of that what would be the safest approach? . . .

I don't know why you think you are in danger, unless you are a deer.

It is a waste, and wrong, and disgusting, but I don't see the danger to your person. I have found the same thing in my "neighborhood" too. It is just a very small fraction of hunters who are wasting game, only taking the antlers.

Don't attach deeper meaning to it.

Scott

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast

stamat said:
The guts were open. The bodies were half way out of a large plastic bag - heads out. I could not see/judge whether the hind legs were still there. The cuts on the heads were very deep. Wonder if this is the way to get antlers off.
if it was in a bag then most likly it WAS NOT POACHED as most poachers just shoot the animal then take the antler, and leave the body. most likly someone shot the dear then took it home guted it took off the antlers off then put it in a bag to keep the blood off the floor/SUV/bed of there nice truck then took it to a lonly raod/trail and dumped just the carcuse. but you still have great reason to be worried and still should call the local fish and game as thats what they get paid for and they are on call 24/7/365.

FRANKVZ

Enlightened

Sounds more like a case of illegal dumping. They probably removed most of the meat, the antlers and threw the rest along a lonely road. You could also try the local police. As far as you being shot, if you're talking after dark, I don't believe deer hunting is allowed anywhere in the US after sunset. Some states allow raccoon and some predator hunting, but I've never heard of a non-hunter being shot in mistake for game after nightfall. Also most hunters don't drink and hunt or hunt from the road. Also any flashlight would pretty much distinguish you from a game animal.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know why you think you are in danger, unless you are a deer.

I do. I had a friend shot out of a tree and killed while deer hunting. I had another one who came out of a stand of trees to face a hunter who was about to shoot at the sound because it might be a deer.
I know a hunter who took fire for several mintues because they thought he was a deer.
I've responded to wounded people who just happened to be where people were hunting.
Cows are killed every year because they thought it was a deer.
People tend to see what they want and even hunters in orange vests have been shot because they thought it was a deer.
The danger is not you thinking you are a deer but that they *will* think you are a deer.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

hunting at night is illegal, so if you see someone hunting in the dark... they shouldnt be.

-David

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, it should be reported. Wasting game is a criminal offence in most, if not all, states.

It is disturbingly common though, and little chance of leading to anything.

I hunt myself, have since I was old enough to carry a rifle. I stopped deer hunting with a rifle a long time ago, because of things like this.

As near as I can figure out, it goes something like this:

A guy gets a hunting license, buys all of this expensive stuff, and goes out for 3 weekends a year when he is allowed to shoot something. He looks forward to it immensely, gets together with his friends who are the same, and goes hunting.

They go out and have a lot of fun wandering around the outdoors (it is a lot of fun). They have a few beers, but rarely get drunk. Think of it like a bunch of guys watching a football game. They drive around searching, generally socializing and having a good time.

Then they might split up and actually go out on foot. (Woo-hoo! Real hunting!) Only one thing enters their mind: killing a deer. The mind of the "Urban Hunter" seems never to think beyond that.

If by chance they shoot a deer, then what? Well, crap, here's this dead thing with the antlers that they were all hot to have mounted, and it is kind of gross. You have to cut it open, which gets blood on your hands and arms and clothes. It can sort of smell bad too. Not horrible, but certainly not like the raw steak they might have been expecting.

So they think about what is involved now: a butcher costs money. Taxidermy costs more money. What do you do with the hide and bones? Whoa, I guess there are lots of things in between the glorious killing shot and a tasty deer steak. And most of these guys can't cook. The dead thing is now an expensive, gross liability.

So, they take a saw and whack off the antlers. The deer gets dumped. They go back to having a few beers with the guys, and all is well.

Not many hunters are like this, but they are more and more common. I see them every year, with my own eyes.

Scott

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast

cheapo said:
hunting at night is illegal, so if you see someone hunting in the dark... they shouldnt be.

-David

I just checked with my Fish and Wildlife dept. (in WA) a few days ago. I can hunt other than big game at night at certain times of the year. In fact, I can hunt at night with night vision equipment for coyote right now.

I am having a rifle built with a picatinny rail on the side for a 12-V SureFire weaponlight that has a tape switch for that very purpose, in .308 Win. A red filter will work for long(ish) shots with a scope, and I can put on an IR filter if I ever get a night vision scope. I doubt I will though, since the NV scope I could afford would be less effective than my day scope and the SureFire.

Scott