3.5 hours @ 500 lumens

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Get a wagon to haul the battery and the cooling unit around....that sucker will be generating some serious heat! :laughing:

deuscoup

Newly Enlightened
I'd try to make it do 1K lumens for 2 hours.

Care to share the receipe for 500L? What's the size factor?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well ... I usually use something with a little more output. Like maybe 800 lumens or so. I use two of them in a CFL form factor to light a small room, often for periods in excess of 3.5 hours :)

65535 said:
What would YOU do with 500 lumens for 3.5 hours?

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
500 Lumens for 3.5 hours isn't a lot light or time. It doesn't push any barriers. Maybe 500Lumens for 35 hours (big and bulky) or 5000 lumens for 3.5 hours (a big ol' HID will do ya).

Last edited:

blahblahblah

Enlightened
WAVE_PARTICLE said:
What do you guys think of 600 lumens for 2 hours of fully regulated brightness in a formfactor of a Surefire M6.

:sssh: WP

Sounds like a Milky "M420" except w/ Seouls???:popcorn:

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
blahblahblah said:
Sounds like a Milky "M420" except w/ Seouls???:popcorn:

Bingo! Except, I hope to use one of AWR's HDM6 packs as a rechargeable solution to this. 7 x Seoul P4s or CREE XR-E P4's. All driven at spec (i.e. 350mA). Or, I can overdrive the buggers and push over 1000 lumens.....but that would mean only about an hour of runtime. Still, not bad, considering my M6, in its stock form, does 500 to 600 lumens for 20 mins. Hopefully, Milky can do his magic.

HID's are nice, but they have limitations in terms of instant-on and stobe capabilities. Also, they are big.

:thumbsup: WP

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually answering the question, I would probably go on a 3 hour night hike with fellow CPF members, showing off various places, such as the tree in chains at Alton Towers, and the monastry at Cotton. That would look spectacular at night with 500 lumens trained on it.

blahblahblah

Enlightened
WP,
Milky is also building an 18650 bored M4 for a similar result. However, there's an Amber Luxeon in the middle of 6 Seouls for a warmer tint.

For the original poster...
I bet it would be possible for an M6 like WP's light on primaries to be underdriven and obtain the 500 lumens and 3.5hr target.

NAW

Enlightened
65535 said:
What would YOU do with 500 lumens for 3.5 hours?

I think I'll may not use it to often becuase I already have 3000+ lumens for over 3 hours. :)

Last edited:

frogs3

Enlightened
So how much weight are we expecting for this 500 lumen 3.5 hr unit?

I have no problem going on 1 hour hikes at night (about my limit now) with either a 6lb X990 HID, and if the wife takes the spare battery, we have another 70 minutes. If it is going to need loads of light, I take the BarnBurner 75, at only 5 lbs., with close to 8000 lumens.

I would love to see a few less pounds to carry and give up some lumens, if the batteries and emitters are ready for it. Are we there yet Dad? as the saying goes.

-HAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
w/e a 3D mag weighs with 3 cells

should be quite light.

I will have it setup soon. I need some lathing work done before I can start my part I am trying to work with high order on geting parts lathed after that it is just fitting ballast batteries and getting the bulb centered in teh good spot.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
WAVE_PARTICLE said:
Bingo! Except, I hope to use one of AWR's HDM6 packs as a rechargeable solution to this. 7 x Seoul P4s or CREE XR-E P4's. All driven at spec (i.e. 350mA). Or, I can overdrive the buggers and push over 1000 lumens.....but that would mean only about an hour of runtime. Still, not bad, considering my M6, in its stock form, does 500 to 600 lumens for 20 mins. Hopefully, Milky can do his magic.

HID's are nice, but they have limitations in terms of instant-on and stobe capabilities. Also, they are big.

:thumbsup: WP

Hey, I got that mod in mind too and am awaiting busy milky to be more free. The only thing is I'm wondering if I should go for the M6 ($300!) as a host or do up 2 mag lights instead. I could get some of the Kiu crowns or go HA or get some nice fluting/checkered (whatever is nice out there), cutdown...

There's also more leeway for the mags for batt options as it's not much of a problem cutting here and boring there on a 'cheap' light.

But somehow a M6 seems so much sexier!